Default Mystery skin rash

I recently visited my father and discovered he's had a skin rash on his ankles and thighs on both legs. His fix was to "burn" it off with peroxide. I took a photo with the hope of figuring out what it is and finding a topical treatment to actually help.

I would greatly appreciate any information.. He says it itches and secretes a yellowish fluid. Apparently it's been getting progressively worse for months.

Thanks,

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Dan! Welcome to DermaTalk . Sorry to know about your father condition. With age the circulation of our lower legs seems to deteriorate causing venous hypertension due to venous insufficiency. This results in condition called stasis eczema which your is suffering from.

Avoiding prolonged standing and elevation of legs during sleeping and sitting may help reduce the edema and improve the circulations. Wearing Compression stocking especially during out from bed in the morning may be helpful. Similarly applying topical corticosteroids, oral antibiotics and antihistamines may help to alleviate the lesions. In case of surgically correctable venous insuffiency is detected a surgeon may also be consulted. Thus it is suggested to consult a dermatologist and treat it accordingly.

Hope you keep us updated about your father condition,we will be happy to hear from you.

Thank you for the information. That would make sense because his current job he's been at for about 6 months now is fairly labor intensive and he is basically always on his feet. He's also in his mid 50's.

I'll definitely keep you posted.

Just wanted to follow up. I spoke to him briefly earlier and he mentioned what he described as marks that looked like "a baby" bit him. Aka Ringworm. I assume it looks as bad as it does because all he did was scratch it and put peroxide on it. It definitely fits the bill, as it also apparently spreads on contact to his thighs, etc. I looked up topical, over the counter medication and told him to get some, ASAP.

Thanks again for the help.

The only thing I can think of now is whether or not, due to the severity and neglect of the Ringworm, he might need antibiotics along with topical medication... Any over the counter suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful