Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    **Lucy Jodkowski** Female

Question Is Ambition wrong, or right?

Hey everyone.

Yet another pointless thread unrelated to skin diseases, but I have so many things buzzing around my head, I need to share and learn from others what you think, haha.

Well Basicly, there's a continuous 'argument/debate' going on between me and my boyfriend, of one year.
    To cut a long, detailed story short, I have ambition and a pretty clear idea of what I want to do with my life, now, and in the future, what I want my profession/career to be. I must admit, it took a while and a few ups and downs to finally reach this decision, but I am there now. I am young though, so I guess I have an excuse, haha.
    Meanwhile, before I join my desired course, I am unfortunately looking for work, to do my share and believe me, I am trying.
    My boyfriend was unemployed when I met him, and I was a student, now the tables have changed and now he is in a full time job. It's a basic job, but I am not judging him. But what I am trying to say is that, is having ambition wrong, or should we just focus on earning money and settling on that?
    I want a creative job that involves using my talent and helping people, whereas my partner is perfectly fine with being working-class, working 9-5, just to pay the bills, he says he is proud to be that way, but, he is also a very good cook and I dream that one day he does something with that talent.

So what do you think? Is having ambition really naive and foolish, should I do what he does and just work for work's sake, or should I study and do my course?
    He is supportive of me, but I can't help but feel that he would prefer me earning the same wage as him, I probably will do one day, but just not in the immediate future.

L.
    x
    Skin is my passion.

**Brenda** Female

lucy, ambition is good if you don't use it till overkill. by this i mean if you have decided what you want to do, please continue. it is important to you and if it is important you have to go with it. your boyfriend is working and providing an income for both of you. that is important to him. if it is steady work and regular pay, he is satisfied. you have to enjoy what you do. don't judge him because he has no ambition. he has it but it is to provide for both of you, not necessarily to get rich. if ambition is to get rich it is no good. if it is for a special purpose in life than it matters. if ambition equals money it is no good. if ambition means doing well at what you enjoy and a side affect is money ambition is good!

Thankyou Vencasand for your lovely reply. I agree with what you say and it's cheered me up about it too, haha. Thanks.

L.
    x
    Skin is my passion.

**Nikki** Female

Brenda said some wise words there.
    Ambition is good but so is reality. If one wants to succeed in a certain field it usually involves starting at the bottom of the ladder and working you way up with experience. Keeping focused on your ambition is good but hanging out for just that wont pay bills. Many people in your position find any work to pay bills while doing their preferable job in free time to build up experience. Once the experienced is gained you can then increase the hours you do that and lessen the hours of the regular job until you are in a full time position.
    Keep the ambition alive but don't expect it to happen overnight (I know you wont because you are a very level headed girl).
    As Brenda said, your boyfriends ambition may be to put a roof over your head and food in your mouth. He is achieving that. Over time he may change jobs until he finds one he really likes. As the job market is very limited now, I think he is doing really well having a full time position.
    Also don't forget... Opposites attract!

**John Curran** Male

Ambition is wrong? Really ? I dont think so.. everyone has to have an ambition man,...

Absolutely ambition is a necessity if your want to succeed in any field. Most people change careers 3 times during their life. We change and so do our careers. Sometimes they may be close to the same field but the job itself changes. I am not sure what you are referring to as 'working class' but if you are referring to middle class labour jobs you also have to have ambition for those as well. We all have to make money to have a roof over our head. While you are working towards your dream job you will have to take jobs that will pay the bills. That is reality. Good like on your career, just don't lose site of what is really important in life and you will succeed.

I know but to me money isn't everything, I've grown up in quite a middle class family and have been surrounded by people that only work for money and they never seem that happy or enjoy going to work in the slightest. My Mum stopped working when she had me and my brother. So it became very male-orientated when it came to making money. This is not what I want, I want to be the change, I want to be the person that studies, even if it's not at a very high level, but learns, then goes and finds work at a place that she thoroughly enjoys, I want to work because I enjoy it, not for the pay cheque.
    I heard a great quote recently 'if you do what you love, for a living, you'll never have to work a day in your life'
    and that's exactly how I see it

L.
    x
    Skin is my passion.

**Nikki** Female

If you can afford to work for pleasure rather than to support yourself then you are one of the lucky ones. Try finding some work volunteering to give you the experience you need and to enhance your CV.

Don't get me wrong... I want to work very hard throughout my life, I don't want to cruise through it, because when I'm on my death bed it will sure feel good to know that I worked my bum off to get to where i got to. But I also want to enjoy it, I want to work in a spa, but then I want to progress from that too, I believe people who work in such places and the like would enjoy their job being in such a calm and relaxed environment, but they clearly work hard too making sure everyone is satisfied and having a good time. I have sent many e-mails and cv's to salons and had no replys sadly, in the mean time I was looking for full-time work anywhere I could find it and luckily I have an interview this week for such thing. It's unrelated to my chosen career path, but it won't be long till I'm back at College anyway.
    Skin is my passion.

Thumbs up

Money is important, but not the most important thing in life. If you work somewhere or do something that you don’t like after a while you’ll start hating it no matter how much you earn (unless you earn a million ). But if you do what you love, you’ll be happy and you’ll feel good about yourself at the end of the day no matter how hard you worked that day. So my advice to you: follow your dreams, follow your heart and don’t give up. Good luck!

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast