Default Dry Skin around Nails

So, I've had this problem for quite a while now but it just seems to be getting worse.
    It's really really tough and hard yellowish skin around my fingernails (and on my thumb) that just doesn't seem to want to go.
    I believe that this has happened because I spent a year or so biting the skin around these specific nails and I think the cuticles or whatever are quite badly damaged.
    I have a doctors appointment in a few days but I thought I'd come to this forum just to see if anyone else was having this problem.
    Whenever I use a pumice stone it'll just come back within a few days.

I have taken a few photos, I have moisturised my hands pre-photo using E45 cream and that's what the white stuff is on my hands. This is the best they look, they look a LOT worse when I haven't moisturised.

The photographs above are of the dead yellow skin with the bottom photograph being my left thumb, the photo below is my right thumb which I think may be a wart due to the position and size of it.

This is really making me self-concious at public occasions, any help would be extremely helpful.

Thankyou so much for taking your time to read this.

hi ! from the pictures u have send it seems like periungual warts to me.Due to repeated biting injury the virus must have found entry to your skin and caused lesion,it usually seen as rough bumps with irregular surface around the nails.it is also seen to rapidly spread when the person immunity has decreased and during certain diseased condition which decreases the immunity of our body.
    it is usually treated using immunomodulators and locally destroying the lesions using various method like salicylic acid paints, cryotherapy ,lasers etc.it is better to strictly avoid biting during this peroid coz local injury may cause wart to spread along the line of injury

Banned
    **kevinkrieger** Male

Use good hand moisturizer and seek your doctor.

Banned
    **Emma Brown** Female

It sounds like you need to take better care of your cuticles to start. If you happen to do the dishes most of the time, then know that without using any rubber gloves or the like, you are putting your nails into jeopardy. Regular contact with cleaning products can weaken your nails. So start giving your nails good cover if you want to give them ample care.

Keeping the nail beds moisturised is also important. Use a non-drying nail lotion, at least once daily. Alternatively, you can also apply petroleum jelly to the nails and the area around them. Some people even recommend doing this and covering the hands with gloves before bed time.

An important tip for basic fingernail care is about trimming the cuticles, once a week. But before you start the process, ensure that you have soften them. For this you can use a specialized cuticle cream.

While cutting your nails, try to make the cut as round or as square as possible. Pointed nails are more prone to damage or breakage. Get a few tips on how to shape nails from this link.

Another smart tip to share with you on this subject on nail care is that it is always best to trim your nails post bathing. This helps in softening the nails naturally thus, allowing you to trim them with ease. Do not forget the filing part.

Daily, give your nails a brief massage with olive oil. You can use your fingers for this, or a brush. Do this for about 10 minutes.

One simple home remedy for nail care is using a mixture of honey and lemon. This works well if you have brittle nails. Massage your nails with the mixture before going to bed.

Look for skin lotions which can be used for the nails and for the skin as well. This way you can not only maintain your nails, but also make your hands feel softer and supple.

Can you please tell me what your doctor said because I have the same problem and I don't know what to do.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful