Default Anti-Itch Creams in Pregnancy

All women who ever had itchy rash during their pregnancies and all others invited to share your knowledge.

Which anti-itch creams and drugs are safe and effective in pregnancy? (A researched, non-commercial article)

Please, tell what do you think about the bellow creams and drugs.

According to may research, the following are probably safe and effective methods to relieve itch in pregnancy. Discuss with your doctor before use.

1. Baking soda, oatmeal or epsom salt bath.
    2. Cool shower and using neutral soaps
    3. Emollients (softeners) used right after a shower. Safe ingredients include palmitic, stearic, oleic, linoleic acid (and other fatty acids), cholesterol, ceramides, beeswax, pine tar, olive oil, almond oil.
    4. Moisturizers used after a shower. Safe ingredients: glycerine, glycolic acid, hyaluronic acid, sorbitol, honey.
    5. Antihistamine creams or pills containing diphenhydramine or loratadine
    6. Calamine lotion, menthol cream
    7. Lidocaine cream
    8. Mupirocine cream (for staph infection)
    9. Benzyl peroxide, azelaic acid and glycolic acid (for acne)

The following may (not necessary) aggravate itch: dimethicone cream, aqueous cream, petroleum jelly, lanolin.

The following is probably ineffective in relieving itch: vitamins A, D, E, K, aloe vera, tea tree oil, primrose oil, calendula.

Steroids, both pills and creams (including mild over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream) are pregnancy category C drugs (according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration), meaning they had harmful effects on animal fetuses, but not on human fetuses, mostly due to lack of human studies. Many dermatologists think that a steroid cream used on a small areas of the skin is probably not harmful.

So, what do you think it may help to relieve itch in pregnancy? Please, DO NOT mention any brand names in this thread.

**Brenda** Female

if you are pregnant, first you check with your doctor to see what is safe orally. i think you
    just about covered all you can use for itch while you are pregnant. i am not pregnant but i am in the constant state of itching due to psoriasis. it is a horrible feeling when you can't find relief. my daughter had what is termed pregnancy rash for her entire pregnancy. she used what you said in your first statement.

Do you know for other people who have psoriasis and can't find itch relief? It could be a good research topic.

**Jaime** Female

Agree with above - check with MD first. I found that just taking raw cold cucumber and rubbing it on the affected areas was a great relief. I guess it will depend on the severity and type of your itching - but I doubt that cucumber will have any adverse impacts.

**Aruna** Female

I have recently delivered and post pregnancy my tummy has been itching a lot. After a friend suggested Parachute's body lotion, I have used it. It has worked really well. It is light and fresh relieving itching. But, do a patch test before you start.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful