Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keep cuticle healthy.

That barely noticeable bit of skin that goes around your nail may not look like much, but it’s actually an important little membrane that deserves respect. If you break or tear your cuticle, bacteria, fungi, and water can get in that could potentially cause an infection.

Keeping your cuticles pushed back is the key to keeping them healthy and pretty. This will not only keep them neat but also reduce the need for trimming – and that will reduce the risk of infection.

It is the shower time when you find the best time to push cuticle back. At that time they are soft. Or, just after your shower, apply cuticle oil, and gently push them back using your fingers. You can also do a post-shower push-back with a pumice cuticle stick.

Finally, apply oil or shea butter to your cuticle every night before bed to keep them soft and pretty.
    Last edited by aliva; 07-09-2008 at 07:48 PM.

I was surprised to read this information. I am a little bit skeptic. My cuticles have not been remove since birth, I swear. It looks clean. Is your tip really necessary? How about getting your cuticle off like what salons will do if you like to have your nails done?

Keeping your cuticles well groomed is easy with a little effort. Dryness is the number one reason for getting hangnails, and when your cuticles are ragged, dried and peeling, it’s a sign that you need to moisturise them. The first step is to apply hand cream, lotion or nail oil and rub it into the cuticle. Even if you occasionally use hand cream, your cuticles are still probably too dry. Try to keep a hand moisturiser in your bag and use it several times daily.

One cardinal sin of cuticle care is cutting them. The cuticle is a barrier that keeps bacteria from entering your body, so it's best to leave this delicate skin intact. You should, however, groom your cuticles regularly, because overgrown cuticles can suffocate nail growth.

All you need is a good cuticle remover and a cuticle stick (called an orange stick). Don't use a cuticle oil or cream for this – a proper cuticle remover is really the only thing that can sufficiently soften the cuticle. After you apply the remover, gently push back your cuticles with the orange stick. Hold the stick at an angle to ensure that you do this gradually and gently, without damaging the cuticle. Then, move the stick in tiny circles around the base of the nail to help remove any dead or flaky skin. This whitish residue, or the ghost of the cuticle, is called pterygium, and should be cleaned from the nail as well. Do this at least three times per nail.

After you have pushed back your cuticles, you can trim any remaining hangnails using a cuticle nipper. Make sure this implement is sharp and cuts cleanly.

When the nail is clean, wipe it with a cotton ball, then moisturise liberally.

**Brenda** Female

skincare, i think what aliva was say was that if you have dry cuticles or hang nails on a regular basis use this procedure. it sounds like you have strong healthy nails and don't have to worry about this. some people have dry cuticles from their job or a vitamin deficiency or their hands dry out in the winter. you are very lucky skincare, i am sure most the board envy's you for your hands and nails.

Yes I agree with Aliva keeping your cuticles pushed back is the key to keeping them healthy and pretty. And its really nice to have healthy nails especially when you are a girl. Its a big plus factor to have it and there is a saying that your nail show your personality. Like if you have good, clean and healthy cuticle then you must be that kind of person.

One can go for manicure and pedicure to keep cuticle healthy.This can be done at home also.

**Ziesha Shey** Female

hey thanks a lot for this kind of information...appreciated !

**Lucy Jodkowski** Female

I always find that my nails seem to grow quite fast when I keep my cuticles neat and tidy and my nails filed! This may just be coinsidence, but good nail care is important and you get a lot back in return! pretty, healthy nails!
    every girl should be entitled to them. ;)

L.
    x
    Skin is my passion.

Banned
    **kevinkrieger** Male

Rub a good quality moisturizer into your nails and fingertips every day and look for removers that are labeled acetone-free.

**Steve Xavior** Male

Really appreciated.I also apply shea butter daily .It keeps them pretty and soft .

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast