Hybrid View

Default Why is coconut oil the best and only type of oil you should use on your skin?

Why is coconut oil the best and only type of oil you should use on your skin?

The answer is free-radicals

Most commonly available creams and lotions are mostly water. Their moisture is quickly absorbed into dry, wrinkled skin. As the water enters the skin, it expands the tissues, like filling a balloon with water, so that wrinkles fade away and the skin feels smoother. But this is only temporary. As soon as the water evaporates or is carried away by the blood stream, the dry, wrinkled skin returns. No matter how hard you try people will never be able to permanently cure dry, wrinkled skin with any commercial body lotion or body care products. Besides the water, most lotions have an oil of some type. This oil is almost always a highly refined vegetable oil devoid of all natural protective antioxidants. One product in our food supply and in body care products that leads to a great deal of free radicals is oxidized vegetable oils.

Our skin is made up of connective tissues. These tissues give our skin strength and elasticity. When we are young and healthy the skin is smooth, elastic and supple. This is the effect of strong connective fibers. As we age these fibers are repeatedly subjected to free-radical attack which breaks them down. As a result, connective tissues become hardened and lose both suppleness and strength. The skin loses its ability to hold itself together and begins to sag and become wrinkled. Once young, soft and smooth the skin turns dry and leathery.

Once a free-radical reaction is started it can cause a chain reaction, which produces more free radicals, which ultimately damages thousands of molecules. The only way our body has to fight them is with antioxidants. When a free radical comes into contact with an antioxidant, the chain reaction is stopped. For this reason, it is good to have plenty of antioxidants in our cells and tissues to protect us. The number of antioxidants we have in our tissues is determined to a large extent by the nutrients in our diet. Having anti-oxidants in skin care products is important, too. Dr. Ray Peat, a biochemist who has written about the antioxidant properties of coconut oil, states "It is well established that dietary coconut oil reduces our need for vitamin E, but I think its antioxidant role is more general than that, and that it has both direct and indirect antioxidant activities." Virgin Coconut Oil is especially useful in fighting free-radicals, as it is unrefined and hasn't been stripped of any of its natural components through the refining process.

[ Link Under Review ]

**Brenda** Female

to each his own.

Coconut Oil is wonderful but there are many other oils that are preferred that are awesome as well. To name a few that I use on a regular basis:

Sweet Almond
    Apricot kernel
    Castor
    Emu
    Jojoba
    Meadowfoam
    Rice bran
    Kukui nut
    Macadamia nut
    Hempseed
    Meadowfoam
    Olive, extra virgin
    Calendula
    Camellia
    Evening primrose
    Red raspberry seed
    Rosehip seed
    Sea buckthorn berry
    Shea

Don't limit yourself to just one oil as there are so many to try.

Quote Originally Posted by y34963 View Post
    Coconut Oil is wonderful but there are many other oils that are preferred that are awesome as well. To name a few that I use on a regular basis:

Sweet Almond
    Apricot kernel
    Castor
    Emu
    Jojoba
    Meadowfoam
    Rice bran
    Kukui nut
    Macadamia nut
    Hempseed
    Meadowfoam
    Olive, extra virgin
    Calendula
    Camellia
    Evening primrose
    Red raspberry seed
    Rosehip seed
    Sea buckthorn berry
    Shea

Don't limit yourself to just one oil as there are so many to try.
    Very true. I'd put jojoba and macadamia oil much higher than coconut oil as these 2 oils most resemble the skins own sebum.

**Brenda** Female

but he wants us to think coconut oil is the only oil to use because he is selling it.

I know and I wanted others to know there are lots of other choices out there which are as good or better. The list I posted is my no means complete. There are numerous oils out there. A lot of oils you can buy at your local grocery store, coconut oil being one of them. No need to buy them on line and pay the extra shipping.

**Brenda** Female

has anyone tried argon oil. it is kind of a vegan emu oil. and it doesn't stink. i use it around my hairline for my psoriasis on my head. it is also to make your hair shiney but i like it because it softens the plaque around my ears and neck. good stuff

Argon oil is wonderful. It is a great oil for mature skin and I have used it in a lot of my face lotions.

I agree that jojoba and macadamia oils are terrific. There are so many wonderful oils I could fill columns.
    Then you add the essential oils ... and butters ...