Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Toner instead of astringent

Our mothers are more familiar with astringent rather than toners and most of them would still recommend their favorite astringent. But at this time and age, modern women prefer toners because they clean our skin without drying. Astringents can be painful and I don't think pain equates effectiveness.

**** Female

Quote Originally Posted by lilabytes View Post
    Our mothers are more familiar with astringent rather than toners and most of them would still recommend their favorite astringent. But at this time and age, modern women prefer toners because they clean our skin without drying. Astringents can be painful and I don't think pain equates effectiveness.
    I agree with you lilabytes. Toners are much more mild than astringents. They cause lesser dryness and lesser stinging sensation.

I prefer using rose water as a toner to make it more natural.

I like to use a toner because my skin is dry in most areas while on my chin, nose and forehead I still get some oily areas and some break outs from time to time. I use regular alcohol or witch hazel on those spots, so I don't dry the other areas out too much.

Oh what a great post! I can't believe I missed it before, but I'm really happy to have chanced upon this. I've been wondering actually what the difference between toners and astringent is/are. I think I use both, but my skin's really oily so it never dries. Only my acne medication can cause dryness and irritation in my skin, sad to say.

Both are same in function. Toners have less alcohol content in comparison to astringent. If you have oily skin, then astringent may be preferable.

I have oily skin and my new favorite inexpensive toner is witch hazel - it really works great and does not dry out my face.

I agree that elderly people are more fond in using astringent rather than toner. As we know, toner is milder than astringent. It really depends on your skin types, whether you have a normal skin or a sensitive skin. Based on my experience, normal skin people can try out toner or even astringent but advisable for sensitive skin to go for toner.

**** Female

If you want complete alcohol avoidance, there are many alcohol-free toners available in market too. I have recently got a new one from Blossom Kochar's and its great. Earlier, I had used Lotus herbals skin toner, and that was also alcohol free.

Rose water is the best option for cheap and alcohol-free toners through.

This is a simple recipe that I came across for a Face Toner for Oily skin.

4 ounces distilled water
    2 TBS cider vinegar (or witch hazel)
    1 tsp honey
    4 drops Lavender essential oil
    2 drops Rosemary essential oil

In a dark bottle add the distilled water or herb tea water. any of the following herbs listed can be used: cedar wood, cypress, eucalyptus, grapefruit, lavender, lemon, rose, lemongrass, mandarin, patchouli, rosemary, tea tree, and ylang ylang. Sage, yarrow, or rose petals are good choices. Add vinegar. To one teaspoon of honey add the essential oils and mix well with the end of a spoon. Add the aromatic honey to the toner solution and shake well to mix completely. Shake well again before using. Moisten a cotton ball and wipe face. This can be used three times per day to remove excess oil.

**** Male

Thanks for your Facer Tone Recipe Jeni.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast