Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Best over the counter acne treatment

My acne is a mild one, so i have no interest doing to dermatologist. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend me the best over the counter acne treatment that will quickly get rid of pimples and also get rid of acne scars.

**Deepak Ghimire** Male

There are many over the counter treatment for acne. These products usually contains the following:

More details can be found here:http://www.dermatalk.com/blogs/skinc...cne-treatment/

Salicylic Acid: Good for non-inflammatory acne lesions. Its helps by slowing the shedding process of cells within a hair follicles and further preventing the pores from clogging. It break down whiteheads and blackheads. Sometimes it might cause mild skin irritation for some people. The usual strength that are available over the counter on market range from 0.5%-2% and in cream or lotion form.

Common brand names Containing Salicylic Acid are:
    Neutrogena Acne Rapid Clear Daily Treatment Pads
    Olay 7-In-1 Anti-Aging Salicylic Acid Acne Cleanse
    DDF Acne Control Treatment
    Stridex
    Noxzema Anti-Acne Gel
    Noxzema Anti-Acne Pads
    Clearasil Clearstick,
    Oxy Night Watch
    L'Oreal's Acne Response

Benzoyl peroxide : its one of the most common and effective treatment available. Benzoyl peroxide helps kill the bacteria ( P. acnes) and also helps unclog pores and remove dead cells, excess oil and reduce inflammation. The uaual strength that are available over the counter in the markets range from 2.5% to 10%. But remember, it can cause more dryness and more sensitive to ultravoilet ( UV) exposure. So always follow the instruction before use. Also, avoid contact with the clothes and hair as it has a bleaching effect.

Common Brand Names containing Benzoyl peroxide:
    Proactiv
    Neutrogena On-the-Spot
    Clearasil
    Oxy-10
    Persa-Gel
    Fostex
    Benzaderm Gel
    Glytone 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Gel
    MD Formulations Benzoyl Peroxide 10

Sulfur and resorcinol: Resorcinol helps control acne lesion and remove dead skin cells and with combination with sulfur together they helps reduce oil and remove blackheads and whiteheads and other dead skin cells. they are usually sold on market with a strength ranging from 2% to 5% to 8%.

Common brand names Containing Sulfur and resorcinol:
    Clearasil Medicated Blemish Cream
    Clearasil Medicated Blemish Stick
    Clearasil Adult Care
    Rezamid Lotion
    Glytone Flesh Tinted Acne Treatment Lotion
    Acne-Aid Gel
    Acnomel Skin Tone
    Acnomel Vanishing
    Night Cast S

Alcohol and acetone: For a oily type of skin this Alcohol and acetone in combination with other ingredients as described above may be used. Alcohol has mild antimicrobial properties and acetone removes excess and dirt from the skin. Together they help reducing oil and dirt and unclog pores.

Common brand names Containing Alcohol and acetone:
    Seba-Nil Liquid Cleanser
    Tyrosum Liquid Acne Skin Cleanser
    Glytone Acne Treatment Toner

I don't suggest for some miracle products that claims to treat your acne with in 2-3 days as advertise..Acne treatment might take long weeks or even months.. all you need is patience..

**Brenda** Female

yes, deepak is right. these are all good products you just have to pick one that works for you. everyone is different and some products work better than others. you just have to use the tried and true method.

wow that is hell lots of suggestion. Thank you deepak very much. i'm gonna go for either Neutrogena On-the-Spot or Olay or L'Oreal's products. Oh,again when one will be better for both acne and acne scar .

thank you.

I can swear by Obagi Tretinoin cream for acne. It is available in strengths of 0.025%, 0.050% and 0.01%

Over the counter acne treatments are actually rampant that leave most people confused on what to buy. Just be extra careful and check the ingredients of the products sold in the market. I am using this pure emu oil product that helps in drying acne and lightening my acne scars. I just bought it online. And yes, it worked! Clearasil is also good.

I heard that Benzoyl peroxide is a pretty good over the counter acne cream, it's meant to be one of the most effective, with the least in the way of nasty side effects.

From what the poster above me said, I use clearasil for my spots, I don't know how well it'd work on acne but it works really well for me

Well this is quite a good kind of discussion i can recommend my girl friend regarding this.My girl also having similar problem.Deepak has done a good job and he made a clear picture about the querry.Thanks dude.

If you are looking for over the counter acne medicines, you have a wide range of choices available. Since acne is a phenomenon which affects a large number of the population, there are literally hundreds of brands and methods of treatments available, as far as acne is concerned.

The leading brands usually have benzoyl peroxide in their products. Benzoyl peroxide is considered to be one of the most effective acne treatments available. Over the counter acne medicines using benzoyl peroxide are known to be pretty effective and can be used for months at a time. These products are not known to cause long term side effects. Needless to say, benzoyl peroxide is the most popular over the counter acne medicine.

Sulfur is also a well known over the counter acne medication. Sulfur makes the skin dry and peel. Sulfur acts by drying out the sebum and therefore stopping bacterial growth. One can find many soaps and facial cleansers with sulfur in them.

Dr. Deepak has indeed done a very nice job in explaining OTC acne cures.
    I'd like to add that benzoyl peroxide is the most commonly used product.

Further, if the OTC treatment fails, anti-biotic creams can be used, though they are not OTC.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast