Question Athlete's Foot: Care and Treatment?

Since the Philippines was passe by the typhoon Vetsana and Parma last two weeks, people are complaining that they are getting "alipunga" or Athlete's Foot because of the knee high flood driven roads. They soaked their feet extensively on flood waters while cleaning their muddy houses.

In an interview yesterday on television, a home owners tells the reporter his process of cleaning and treating his athlete's foot. He cleanse it with water and rinse it with kerosene.

Do you think it's good for the skin? And how can we take care or treat our skin which was infected by athlete's foot?

**Brenda** Female

i really don't think kerosene is good for the skin. this is a hard one to answer. flood waters carry bacteria also from sewers and dead animals. it might not just be athletes foot it could be some kind of infection. i don't know what is available in the phillipines medicine wise. there is a topical blue liquid called gentian violet that kills both bacteria and fungus but the foot would be blue for a while. you have to apply this once or twice a day. there is also miconazole 2% cream, clotrimazole 1% cream, spray, liquid, that are over the counter in the us. stronger stuff we need a prescription for, ketoconazole, econazole, nystatin, and others. the men need to keep their feet dry. i don't know how to do that other than boots. tea tree oil is very good for bacteria and fungus too. i hope i helped.

Thanks for your suggestions vencasand.
    This might be helpful for my fellow Filipinos to cure their skin disease and I hope they can read this. And as far as I know, those creams are highly available here in a good price.

I just heard on TV some first aid for this kind of skin disease.
    Get some lukewarm water and put 4 teaspoons of salt (not iodized) on it. Get a towel and use it to put some of he mixture on your skin. Then for the foot itself, you can put it on the mixture three times a day.

Clean your feet with hot water that your feet can absorb , then put salt on it. have it done for a few minutes then rinse. Or you can go to a spa parlor and have a foot spa. Always wear a clean sock and dry shoes to keep your feet in a dry mode also.

Quote Originally Posted by vencasand View Post
    i really don't think kerosene is good for the skin. this is a hard one to answer. flood waters carry bacteria also from sewers and dead animals. it might not just be athletes foot it could be some kind of infection. i don't know what is available in the phillipines medicine wise. there is a topical blue liquid called gentian violet that kills both bacteria and fungus but the foot would be blue for a while. you have to apply this once or twice a day. there is also miconazole 2% cream, clotrimazole 1% cream, spray, liquid, that are over the counter in the us. stronger stuff we need a prescription for, ketoconazole, econazole, nystatin, and others. the men need to keep their feet dry. i don't know how to do that other than boots. tea tree oil is very good for bacteria and fungus too. i hope i helped.

great research, thanks...

I don't know whether or not this would be effective, but it really doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I am pretty sure that there are chemicals in kerosene that are carcinogenic. There are plenty of safe products out there that effectively treat athletes foot.

My feet have always been on my priority list. I always want them to look extremely beautiful. I have tried many products but Sakare's Foot Cream has turned out to be the best. It keeps my feet healthy and soft, and fits my budget as well. Now I am planning to try their other products also.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful