**Angela** Female

Default How To Clean Your Makeup Tools (Part 1)

In this post, I'm going to talk about washing/cleaning makeup tools (brushes, sponges, etc). I know by now most people know that we should and need to clean our tools on a regular basis. There are a lot of youtube videos on how to spot clean and deep clean, but I want to share a few tips. This is what I learned from my experiences of washing my own stuff and from watching a Taiwanese beauty show. During one episode, they had a famous makeup artist come in and talked about everything there is about washing brushes. Some tips are actually really helpful, so I want to share them with you guys.

Before we start, let's talk about why we have to clean our tools. An unwashed sponge is even dirtier than the floor, meaning that there are millions of germs on it since sponges and brushes are the perfect places for germs to grow. The best way to solve this problem is to throw out old sponges on a regular basis; however, this is just not practical because it is expansive to keep buying new ones. But if we were to do so, we should change our sponges when:

* the edge of the sponge starts to break OR
    * the sponge is getting harder (not as soft as when first got it)

But if the sponge is still in pretty good shape, all we need to do is clean it and then we can reuse it.

Things we can use to clean sponges:

* bar soap
    * body wash
    * hand soap
    * Shampoo

Use lukewarm water. Do NOT use hot water because the high temperature will damage the sponge.

Step 1: First soak the sponge in water and then put some soap on it.
    Step 2: Do NOT keep rubing it back and forth. We should gently squeeze the sponge and dip it in clean water. Repeat this process until there is no more color/product coming out.
    Step 3: Put it under running water for a little bit to make sure we completely rinsed off the soap.
    Step 4: Squeeze out excessive water.
    Step 5: Use a paper towel to gently squeeze out excessive water.
    Step 6: Air day or blow dry. Do NOT put the sponge directly under the sun because this will make it turn hard.

I'm splitting this post into two parts, so stay tune for the second one.
    Last edited by SparkleMidori; 09-12-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: forgot something

**** Female

Nice post.
    I wouldn't use bar soap or hand soap on brushes though. I usually go with mild shampoo. absolutely agree with everything else.

**Angela** Female

thanks for the info

I have done it also, I always make sure that I have used clean sponges. For a unwashed sponge will just make your skin absorbs all the dirts that the sponge has. And it will cause a bad result to your skin like having pimples and skin irritations. In addition to this, you might as well wanted to clean the surroundings of your lipstick after using it to avoid it for being so messy. And having your make up clean after using it is a must thing for all women like us, for a proper hygiene.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful