Hybrid View

**** Female

Default Honey and Skin Care

God has given us lots of natural resources to benefit us. Every resource can be used for many purposes. Honey is one of them. Honey is not only good for our body if it is consumed as a food but it is very beneficial if you use it as a natural skin care product. Not only for skin is caring it used for treatment of various skin problems.

Due to its qualities honey is widely used in different skin care products. It is used as a skin care product since centuries. Cleopatra used honey and milk for her bath to keep her looking youthful. Honey is used as a moisturizer and anti irritant. Not only that honey is known as natural humectant means it has an ability to attract moisture and hold it. The another best quality of honey is that it has an amazing shelf life, means you can preserve it for longer periods of time then any other product.

Its humectant quality makes it good for those people who have oily skin. It keeps your skin moist without oiliness. Honey is widely used in different facial masks. You can make your won facial mask at home by using honey as a main ingredient. We will tell you some masks recipes at the end. Right now we will discuss its qualities one by one.

Honey as moisturizer:
    Due to its humectant qualities, it is used in moisturizers, cleansers, creams, shampoos and conditioner. It does not only attract water but it retains it in skin. If skin loses its ability to retain moisture then it appears wrinkled and dry. In this way if you use honey it will prevent wrinkles and dryness. It maintains skin suppleness and elasticity.

Honey as anti oxidant:
    Honey is always famous for its natural anti-oxidant properties. Anti oxidant properties plays an important role in protecting the skin damage form ultraviolet light of sun. Over expose of skin in ultra violet light of sun, it causes skin damage, premature aging and even skin cancer. Other sun screen lotion can cause skin irritation. Now researched are conducted to find out to use more honey in sun screen lotions.

Home Remedies of Honey:
    Take 1 peeled cored apple and 1 tablespoon of honey and blend it in food processor until smooth. Apply mixture on face for 15 minutes and wash it off.

Take 1 table spoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of finely ground almonds, 2 tablespoons of dry oath meal, some lemon juice or yogurt. Apply this paste to your face and massage it gently then rinse it with warm water. It's act as a facial scrub.

For silky and luscious skin, add ¼ cup of honey to your hot bath water.

Honey as natural remedy for various skin problems:
    Honey is very effective to cure much medical disease. It is very effective for burns, pressure sores, surgical incisions, acne, and more. Since many centuries it is used to heal wounds.

Thanks for the list, lizasteven and welcome!

Honey is very effective to cure much medical disease. It is very effective for burns, pressure sores, surgical incisions, acne, and more. Since many centuries it is used to heal wounds.
    With all due respect, does that still hold true about the burns and such like? I'd like to hear some kind of proof that the usage of honey is still recommended these days in that respect. All I've ever heard of it being used for in modern times is as a beauty product ingredient rather than something to treat serious conditions. (Apart from a food source too obviously).

I would just hate someone to read this then go slap it on a burn for example and do more harm than good. When I was young, it was accepted wisdom that you put butter on a burn to help it heal. I can remember my gran doing it to us. Nowadays they say that's nonsense and you should never do that.

That's why I ask if this is still considered correct.

Honey has very good properties for skin care like it is a natural humectant which means it attracts and hold moisture.A special kind of honey know as Manuka Honey has anti-bacterial properties.
    Honey also soaks impurities from skin pores and it also provides protection from sun.Honey also helps in treating minor acne skin problems.

I can vouch for aloe vera as an excellent natural remedy for burns and wounds. but i'm not sure about honey, although it' supposed to have antibacterial properties.

but using honey on you face adds a certain glow. i used to apply honey on my face 5 mins before I take my bath. i only stopped when my mom complained of ants in our bathroom.

Beewax will lock in the moisture, but I don't think it is a moisturizer, that's for sure.

Honey is an antibacterial and antioxidants

Here a good articles about the honey properties: http://www.honeyo.com/honeyhealing.shtml