Default Does treatment for melanoma affect pregnancy

One of my close friend was diagnosed with Stage 1 melanoma last month (.40mm thick) on her thigh.And she is pregnant too.
    My questions are:
    How it is treated during pregnancy?
    Does treatment for melanoma affect pregnancy?
    Can melanoma spread to the baby?

Please anyone could give good suggestions.i would be thankful.

**Deepak Ghimire** Male

Thanks and glad to see you care about friend..and you need not worry as your friend has just stage one melanoma.

Normally stage 1 melanoma (less than 1mm thick) can be excised with the help of local anaesthetic and its completely safe during pregnancy.Most anaesthetic drugs are safe and won't affect the baby or the pregnancy.

Melanoma spreading to the baby is a very rare.This might occur in pregnant women who have most advanced melanoma spreading to lymph nodes and internal organs.In your friend case its safe.

Malignant melanoma is one of the few malignancies that regularly affect women during their childbearing years. Additionally, the incidence of melanoma has been increasing over the last several decades. Early diagnosis of stage I disease may lead to curative therapy; thus it is important for physicians and midwives to do a full examination of the skin. However, the myth that nevi may naturally grow or change during pregnancy has been shown not to be true and should not delay a diagnostic evaluation of a suspicious nevus. Older studies had theorized a worse outcome for pregnant women with melanoma.

Most of the time if it is stage or grade one they can remove it surgically and if they can get clean borders around the melanoma, then your friend has a good chance of not having to have more treatment.
    If they cannot get clean borders, they will recommend further treatment once her child has been delivered. They cannot do any other cancer therapies like chemo or radiation during a pregnancy due to it affecting the baby.
    I see that this was some time ago but I wanted to post this for anyone else that might have questions about this.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful