Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    **Nikki** Female

Default Healthy eating/diet tips...

Has anyone made any diet changes recently? I don't want to know about strict diets but a way you have introduced new healthier foods or healthier ways of cooking.
    Generally the British diet is quite bland. Thankfully with the introduction of cuisines from around the world, new tastes have been introduced.
    I love Caribbean and Indian recipes as I love spice so I try and cook a meal that involves spices. Cumin is supposed to be good for preventing cancer, although I haven't searched to see if this is true or not.
    I also know that most veg contain a lot of its goodness just under the surface so I try and only buy things that can be pretty much washed and used without peeling. Some people are unsure that tomatoes, cucumber and bell peppers (amongst a few others) are in fact fruits and not vegetables so a portion or two of these is sufficient each day if you're not much of a fruit person.
    As I've never been one to have to worry about my weight (sorry!) if I consume fruit I sometimes incorporate it into a healthy(ish) dessert. Yogurt, low fat cream, honey or lemon juice are some of the things I use but when it comes to desserts once you start making them, the variations are endless. Just don't overdo the sugar.

I also only use extra virgin olive oil. As this has a low smoke point it is not good for deep frying and I always have this to hand as I almost never deep fry. There are some great oils on the market (I love sesame seed oil) that used sparingly can add some benefits, as well as different tastes, to your diet.
    Garlic is also good for aiding some digestive conditions but more notably it lowers cholesterol. It does have a strong taste if a lot is used but using a smaller amount would enhance other flavours and go some way helping.

When using herbs, spices, fruits and veg it is always better to use fresh but if they are not available, dried or canned is better than nothing.

What tips do you have?

**** Female

Growing up my family always ate pretty healthy. It's kind of second nature to me, but I've had to teach others how to eat healthier. Not even healthier as much as "more flavorful" lol.

The biggest thing that people respond to is when they eat something I've seasoned with fresh citrus. There is absolutely no substitute for fresh citrus zest and juice! Best thing ever! Try it. Also, I mostly cook with coconut oil (when I have to--I definitely don't deep fry anything) because it adds an ever-so-slight sweet/clean flavor to everything. And despite being full of saturated fatty acids, it's still somehow good for you. I use olive oil for pastas and Italian dishes because it adds that unmistakable "Mediterranean" touch.

Oh, and if you're someone who has a sweet tooth (like my current guy) try using splenda instead of sugar. It's more expensive obviously, but it's worth it.

If you have a spice garden, grow garlic. Not to use the bulbs themselves, but for the greens. They have a very unique flavor. Somewhat like garlic and green onions combined, but it also adds it's own special flavor. (Difficult to describe with words, but if you ever try it you'll know what I mean.)

I'll post more ideas as I think of them. I actually have quite a few. I'm known as "the cook." XD

**Lucy Jodkowski** Female

My diet is rubbish! hahah. it's only started getting better since being with my partner.
    He loves cooking and is very good at it, but as we don't have our own place yet, he doesn't have the chances to utilize this skill, sad, because the only times I eat healthy are when he cooks!
    We also realised we shared a big love for Italian food and I love pasta especially, I find pasta is the absolute ideal way that I get anything healthy down me, I mix it with vegetables, good cuts of meat, herbs, everything and when it's mixed with pasta I barely notice they're there!
    I've also started eating porridge every morning too and I find I stay full for longer and it's slowly improving my skin.
    anyway, sorry for rambling on!

L.
    x
    Skin is my passion.

**Nikki** Female

Love your post Blondie. Growing up in a working household (I'm 40) we had the usually British meal of meat, potatoes and veg. Most of the meats bought were not the best cuts and quite honestly it has put me off meat. My diet consists mainly of chicken (free range) and fish. The introduction of a wider range of fruits and vegetables (something as basic as a mango to some, were very expensive here) has made cooking more fun.
    I'm going to attempt to grow garlic next year for the first time. Can you explain to me how you use the green leaf? I've seen a picture of the plants growing so I know what you are talking about. I use a lot of garlic and if a decent bulb is used for original crop, you can propagate the next years crop. Good news!
    I always have a decent bottle of lemon juice in the fridge for if I don't have fresh lemons or limes in.
    I only usually use oil for softening things like onions or sealing meat so I tend to use EVOO more than anything else. If I do a stir fry I like to use something like sesame oil.
    A lot of oils now days have very good benefits, if like everything, it is used in moderation. Some flavoured oils are good to sprinkle on salads rather than making up a dressing.
    I have found that by sweetening desserts with something more natural adds benefits as well as taste. My favourite to use is honey (maple syrup isn't so popular here) for example.

Lucy, I can't believe you add gorgeous ingredients to pasta and use the pasta to disguise the taste. Maybe you are not mixing a good combination so are not bringing out the real flavour. Using the right herbs with chicken, or adding a dash of lemon juice if using tomatoes, enhances the flavours. Some things overpower and spoil a dish.
    If you want some recipes go to the bbc recipe site or the channel 4 one. Alternatively post here things you enjoy for example chicken and pasta and we can give you tips on things to add to enhance flavours rather than overpower.

Food is to be enjoyed.

**Lucy Jodkowski** Female

Oh trust me the pasta dishes my boyfriend makes are DELICIOUS, but I can't stand vegetables! or most salad! so teaming it with pasta and a nice sauce is the only way I'll eat them!
    My only favorites are;
    .lettuce
    .cucumber
    .raddish
    .carrots
    .courgette - recently tried and love this
    .sugarsnap peas
    .asparagus
    .cherry tomatoes - cooked
    .onions - my all time favourite
    .potatoes but mainly sweet potatoes
    .parsnips

and that's about it I think!
    Skin is my passion.

**** Female

Quote Originally Posted by pepsimax View Post
    I'm going to attempt to grow garlic next year for the first time. Can you explain to me how you use the green leaf?
    Depending on what cultivar of garlic you use, the greens can grow pretty thick and/or hard. So you just have to cut them, wash/rinse, and slice them up small enough to be used as a spice. (They don't have to be teeny-tiny. Maybe slightly bigger than you would cut spring onions.) Some people like the greener parts, and some people like the fleshy whiter area. I like both, of course. They go best in sauces imo.

I love asparagus, too. skinlover mentioning asparagus made me remember an old recipe I made up on the spot one day. My kitchen was running a little low, so I kind of just made a sauce for them out of condensed milk, yellow mustard, lemon and dill. I know it sounds strange, but everyone loved it lol. I wish I would have been writing down my measurements, because I've never been able to recreate it. >_< Stupid me!

Banned
    **Breonna Jackson** Female

To set yourself up for success, think about planning a healthy diet as a number of small, manageable steps rather than one big drastic change. If you approach the changes gradually and with commitment, you will have a healthy diet sooner than you think.

-Simplify. Instead of being overly concerned with counting calories or measuring portion sizes, think of your diet in terms of color, variety, and freshness. This way it should be easier to make healthy choices. Focus on finding foods you love and easy recipes that incorporate a few fresh ingredients. Gradually, your diet will become healthier and more delicious.
    -Start slow and make changes to your eating habits over time. Trying to make your diet healthy overnight isn’t realistic or smart. Changing everything at once usually leads to cheating or giving up on your new eating plan. Make small steps, like adding a salad (full of different color vegetables) to your diet once a day or switching from butter to olive oil when cooking. As your small changes become habit, you can continue to add more healthy choices to your diet.
    -Every change you make to improve your diet matters. You don’t have to be perfect and you don’t have to completely eliminate foods you enjoy to have a healthy diet. The long term goal is to feel good, have more energy, and reduce the risk of cancer and disease. Don’t let your missteps derail you—every healthy food choice you make counts.

**Nikki** Female

Quote Originally Posted by skinlover View Post
    Oh trust me the pasta dishes my boyfriend makes are DELICIOUS, but I can't stand vegetables! or most salad! so teaming it with pasta and a nice sauce is the only way I'll eat them!
    My only favorites are;
    .lettuce
    .cucumber
    .raddish
    .carrots
    .courgette - recently tried and love this
    .sugarsnap peas
    .asparagus
    .cherry tomatoes - cooked
    .onions - my all time favourite
    .potatoes but mainly sweet potatoes
    .parsnips

and that's about it I think!
    It sounded like you tolerated it not enjoyed it. Incorporating fruit and veg into a sauce for pasta is one of the best ways to enjoy it. We need to introduce you to a wider choice though. Try the Channel 4 recipe site. You can put in one or a few ingredients like chicken and pasta and it selects some recipes that contain both. Its a good way to introduce new things into a diet. Then the best part of cooking is trying a recipe and adapting it to your taste.

**Nikki** Female

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Depending on what cultivar of garlic you use, the greens can grow pretty thick and/or hard. So you just have to cut them, wash/rinse, and slice them up small enough to be used as a spice. (They don't have to be teeny-tiny. Maybe slightly bigger than you would cut spring onions.) Some people like the greener parts, and some people like the fleshy whiter area. I like both, of course. They go best in sauces imo.

I love asparagus, too. skinlover mentioning asparagus made me remember an old recipe I made up on the spot one day. My kitchen was running a little low, so I kind of just made a sauce for them out of condensed milk, yellow mustard, lemon and dill. I know it sounds strange, but everyone loved it lol. I wish I would have been writing down my measurements, because I've never been able to recreate it. >_< Stupid me!
    Thanks for the info on garlic. Until I get to the garden centre I wont know what are the recommended ones to grow here. Luckily dad is helping me start this and some herbs off in his greenhouse so can get things started quicker as we have quite a late spring frost here.
    You say cut the greens up like a spice. That surprised me as I know garlic is a vegetable so in my mind before you originally answered I figured it could be used like a leek or spring onion. Now I'm curious as to what sort of dishes to use with. I'm going to have to use my advice to Lucy and look online for some tips.

I've never been a great lover of asparagus but then again its only really become a 'popular veg' here in the last few years. Had my mum put that on my plate as a child I would have sneaked it out for my pet rabbit. Is the rumour about it true?
    Try looking online for a recipe and maybe by trying some out you will find similar or remember the original.

**Nikki** Female

Nice post breonnajackson. I have found over the last couple of years that by following a recipe then adapting it to my taste or cupboard contents encourages me to eat healthier.
    As I have a relatively poor appetite the thought of eating 5 portions of fruit and veg on top of everything else that was needed was more than I could manage eating. But by incorporating them into main dishes my meals are both healthier and delicious. Some people say they dont have time to cook a full meal from scratch but I have found the tastier dishes are the ones you spend about 10 minutes preparing (like cutting veg and making a marinade or sauce to roast meat in) and putting it all in the oven at one go to cook. You dont need to be spending hours in the kitchen.
    Today I am having chicken which is currently marinating in jerk seasoning (homemade) and I'll roast that with some peppers, leeks and onions and around 15 minutes before end of cooking I'm going to add a couple of cut plums to add a bit of sweetness.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast