Thread: Scalp Psoriasis

**Mubeen** Male

Default Scalp Psoriasis

Scalp psoriasis is more common than you think, but a lot of people don’t know they have it.

The first thing to do is try and find out what causes the scalp psoriasis. There is no cure for scalp psoriasis, but if you can determine what brings on the outbreaks you may be able to stop the frequency. Figuring out the cause can be the problem though. There is no one trigger of scalp psoriasis, there are many and they vary from person to person. Outbreaks can be caused by genetics, which is hard to prevent, stress, the food we eat, or the weather.

As soon as you feel an outbreak coming on, find relief fast. Relief is not scratching or picking until you bleed either. Relief can be found by lathering on fragrance free moisturizer. Take a mineral or olive oil bath. Put together a baking powder paste and lather it on the sore areas or even a wet wrap. Rubbing Aloe Vera on the sore spots can ease the pain and inflammation. Most importantly, lotion, lotion, and then lotion again. Keeping the skin moisturized will help prevent outbreaks and help relive the dry, patches spots.

Learning you have been diagnosed with scalp psoriasis is the first step. From there it is up to you to find what causes it and how to find the best relief without scratching, picking, or making the lesions worse.

Mubeen.

**Brenda** Female

I think you are correct Mubeen, if you have constant lesions on your scalp you should see a doctor to determine if it seborrhea dermatitis, dandruff, or a fungal infection. psoriasis cannot be cured. i am using zinc shampoo on my hair and massage it into my scalp. i let it on my scalp for about 5 minutes then i rinse really well. i also apply a moisturizer and a sunscreen to spots on my scalp. it eases up during the day but by the next morning i have to repeat the process or have major skin scales. keep the area moisturized.

**Kelly McKeown** Female

Default Scalp Psoriasis

I have been using Aalgo for my daughter who has Eczema (although it is much better now). It works very well for her Eczema and her skin is much more healthier.
    It says it is also suitable for psoriasis and scalp psoriasis - I HAVE not tried it in this way but if it works so well for Eczema too it is worth looking into for Scalp psoriasis.

I've heard this may help in scalp psoriasis (if used regularly):
    - Coconut oil ointment, containing coal tar, salicylic acid, and sulphur
    - Phototherapy with ultraviolet (UV-B) light

Yes Boran it will help. Coal tar has been used for years for scalp psoriasis and UV light also helps. I would not recommend UV light though as it could cause other problems. Psoriasis is uncomfortable and we are very self conscious about it but we don't want to replace one problem with a bigger one.

@ y34963

Can you say more about unwanted effects of the UV light? Any personal experience?

It is like going into the sun. Cancer causing. UV light doesn't work for everyone either.

**Adam Sedgwick** Male

I use a liquid, its called betacap 0.1% ive used 6 applications (2 a day ) and worked a treat!

**vasudhareva** Female

Hey, thanks for the knowledgeable post. Really, we may have the scalp psoriasis but we are not aware of it. A big thanks for getting things into the reality.

**Rakesh Dholakia** Male

Scalp Psoriasis: Symptoms & Treatment
    Psoriasis on the scalp is a common variant of psoriasis, which is relatively more difficult to treat as compared to one on the skin.
    One may present with psoriasis only on the scalp or on the skin and scalp together. In many patients, scalp psoriasis exists for several years before it appears on the body. Many times, mild psoriasis on the scalp may be wrongly diagnosed and treated as dandruff.
    In our experience, we have observed scalp psoriasis more in adults than in children. There is a rise in diagnosis and detection of scalp psoriasis in early teens, in the last five-ten years. Even small kids can be affected. It is equally noticed in both sexes, with a slightly higher percentage in women than men.

Scalp Psoriasis Symptoms:

Psoriasis on the scalp is slightly different than that on the skin. A patient may have psoriasis on the skin first and then the scalp may be affected, or both may be affected simultaneously.
    Psoriasis on the scalp can be differentiated in three categories, mild, moderate and severe.

Mild cases: The first change noticed may be dryness in the scalp and hair. The hair may feel dry to touch. The second change seen is development of dandruff. Patient may typically exclaim, "I thought it was dandruff!" In such cases itching may be mild or moderate, which is more irritating and disturbing, in the initial stages.Scratching leads to falling of fine dandruff on the neck and shoulders. The scalp itching is often awkward. The closest differential diagnosis at this stage is seborrhea dermatitis. In seborrhea the scalp is oily, and the dandruff is rather sticky, like sebum and yellowish. Scalp psoriasis is dry, silvery and scaly.Moderate
    cases: This stage may be seen a few years after the start of psoriasis.

The scalp may show single or multiple patches of scales. The scales may be white or silvery, moderately thick. There may be more concentration behind the ears, temples, occipital and parietal areas. Scales are visible and beneath and surrounding them, the scalp is reddish. 10-20 % of the scalp may be affected. The eyebrows, beard, may show patches of dandruff, dryness and itching. Hair fall may be prominent.Severe cases: In severe cases of scalp psoriasis, there are large crusty patches of scales all over the scalp. The scalp redness is very much marked and the scales and redness many times can be seen beyond the hair line, on the forehead, behind ears and on the back of the neck. Around 50-80 % or more area of the scalp may be affected.The scratching and suffering is unbearable. The scalp may bleed on scratching.There may be super added fungal or bacterial infections.If patient does not have psoriasis on the body, after this stage, psoriasis generally spreads to other parts of the body.

Homeopathic treatment for scalp psoriasis:

Psoriasis on the scalp responds very well to homeopathy. The scalp redness reduces, the itching reduces and the scaling reduces. The recurrence is brought under good control.
    Homeopathy treats psoriasis by correcting internal immune imbalance, irrespective of the location of psoriasis. There are certain more commonly used medicines especially when psoriasis affects the scalp.
    The scalp psoriasis may respond slower, in comparison to psoriasis on the skin.
    If a patient has psoriasis on the skin and on the scalp, the skin form responds earlier, the scalp psoriasis responds later, however, that is not a rule.
    Homeopathy does not suggest any use of cortisone based medication for scalp psoriasis.

• Advertisers

Adsense

Name:Google Adsense
      Mood: Cheerful