PDA

View Full Version : Organic Makeup

mimico
02-09-2009, 06:37 PM
I am seeing a lot of 'natural' and 'organic' makeup in the grocery aisles lately. Are these really better than regular makeup? I have sensitive skin too, so if there is a line of makeup that won't make me break out then I'll definitely buy it; but I want to know- is organic makeup a lot safer to use? Is it just like mineral makeup?

boron
02-10-2009, 11:57 AM
I've found this also.

Using the term "organic" in cosmetics is extremely misleading.

A term "organic" may have several meanings. In cosmetics, it probably suggests that all components are "natural", or "without chemicals".

But you can get allergy to anything "natural" if it contains proteins.

Ashu
02-10-2009, 12:22 PM
yup see the ingredients before you buy. these days many products are misleading saying organic as boron said.

boron
02-19-2009, 03:39 PM
USDA (US department of agriculture) organic standard
- "100% organic product" may contain only organic ingredients, water and salt
- "organic" product has to contain at least 95% organic ingredients

Above organic products are called "certified organic" and may bear USDA ORGANIC seal.

- pruduct "made by organic ingredients" has to have at least 70% of organic ingredients.

There are also other standards...

But even certified organic product can contain ingredients that may cause allergy.

mimico
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Oh thanks so much for all the information. Organic makeup is much more expensive! Hmph! I don't think I'll be spending on those anytime soon! I'll just buy organic fruits and vegetables for now...

boron
03-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Good organic products have additional benefits and don't contain fragrances, preservatives, and none of commonly known allergens. They also don't contain artificially produced vitamins A and E (these ingredients end on - stearate or - palmitate).

So you have these levels of "organic":
- Someone simply claims the product is organic. There's usually no regulation that would prohibit using this term on the product.
- Certified as "made by organic ingredients"
- Certified as "organic" or "100% organic", but still containing preservatives and fragrances (organic but possibly allergenic)
- Certified organic that go beyond usual requirements and really try to be harmless, so containing no preservatives and fragrances, no traces of alcohols (used in herb extraction), etc.

"Certified" here means certified by someone, and containing the SEAL (USDA organic, and Australian certified organic are most known), not just "certified" - and no proof.

Also, the product as a whole has to be certified, not only that some ingredients are certified - the trick many producers are using.

Starchild47
03-12-2009, 05:33 AM
A lot of times companies market things as natural in order to keep from having to have FDA approval, like the herbal food supplements.
I would be very surprised if there is such a thing as all organic make up. They might contain some organic materials but I would bet you they also have the old tried and true mineral oil and I am not about to put petroleum products on my face any more!

lil_sasha
03-14-2009, 04:10 PM
I think this is very misleading, I have very sensitive skin an items like this do jump out at you don't they? But make sure you read everything that is in it, they normally change so much compared to what is in normal make-up so be careful

vencasand
03-15-2009, 02:33 PM
organic and all natural are very misleading words. just because it come from the flower itself or no fertilizer used doesn't mean it is safe. so many people are trying the natural vitamins and minerals. go with a good well known name company. even then they might be made pure but it doesn't make them safe. talk to someone who knows about all natural drugs. make sure they aren't just trying to sell you the product. there are homeopathic doctors that you can ask. they know their stuff.

Starchild47
03-16-2009, 09:30 PM
The best advice I can give anyone is to read, read, read, ingredients on ANYTHING you purchase and then read some more! If you do not understand what the chemical names are, write them down bring them home and look them up! You will be surprised and shocked at some of the garbage that goes into bath and body products and make up.
Even things that are considered natural!
Buyer beware!

neha4898
03-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Hey you guys, that was a lot of helpful information right here. thanks lots...what i think is that many companies that claim they use natural products may be using more plant extracts in their products than the regular product companies, which use chemical alternatives for all their ingredients. My skin is very sensitive and the only brand that worked for me was Artistry. They grow their ingredients on their own farms, which are not genetically engineeired like others. So i find their products much more gentle than all the others that i've used..