PDA

View Full Version : How much pain is normal for a Pap test?

Shizakhan
05-07-2018, 10:48 AM
But first, a little bit of medical info. A pap test is a medical test where a doctor inserts a speculum (it looks like the picture below) into your vagina, and then uses what looks like a really big Q-tip to take a sample of cells from your cervix. The speculum is kind of like a curling iron. It gets inserted when it’s closed, and then once it’s in, the doctor opens it up to give some space to insert the Q-tip like thing.

The cells are then analyzed to make sure there’s nothing cancerous or pre-cancerous, because cervical cancer can be a REALLY BAD THING. So you honestly do want to get this done.

Doctors start performing Pap smears after you’re sexually active, or at age 21 in the U.S. and 25 in Canada, even if you’re a virgin.

At the same time as they perform the pap smear they usually do an internal exam, inserting their fingers inside and feeling for polyps or growths on the cervix that aren’t necessarily cancer, or for other abnormalities. My doctor has found polyps that I needed removed that way, so it is really necessary to get done.

Seriously, no one likes this. But your health is worth it. So if you have to go through it, how do you make it less UGHHHHH?

[clickToTweet tweet=”10 Tips to Make Pap Smears More Comfortable (some are funny!):” quote=”10 Tips to Make Pap Smears More Comfortable (some are funny!):”]

1. Know how often you really HAVE to get one done

While a pap smear is necessary, it’s not always necessary every year. People are in different risk categories. If you were a virgin when you were married, for instance, and you married a virgin, your chances of getting cervical cancer are greatly diminished, since most cervical cancers are caused by STDs.

If you’re a virgin and you’re planning on getting married soon, some doctors will want to perform one pre-emptively. It’s okay to ask if it’s really necessary (in many cases it’s not).

And if you’ve had several tests that have come back clear, the guidelines now are to wait a few years before a repeat. However, I’d be wary and look at whether you’re actually in a high risk category or not based on your history.

2. Realize that Your Doctor Has Already Looked at 15-20 Vaginas This Week Already

Seriously. It’s okay. All women have them. You don’t need to be shy.

Here’s a joke I’ve heard before that one fan shared:

There is an old joke about a girl doing crafts with her Mom, glue, paper, glitter etc. Mom says “hurry up and go wash up, I have a Dr.’s appointment”. Minutes later the Mom realizes she should probably wash up as well but it’s too late now for a shower so she just hurries to the bathroom and give herself a quick rinse with a wet cloth and off they go. At the Dr’s office she gowns up and lays on the table in the appropriate position. The Dr. comes in and smiles. He says – “Hmm, went the extra mile for us today, didn’t we?” Thinking he noticed her Brazilian wax job she smiled and nervously said, “I do what I can.” All the way home she pondered this, thinking it very strange. On her way into the bathroom to tidy up after her daughter as she was in a hurry before she noticed the wash cloth on the floor, covered in glitter. The same wash cloth she had used on her quick touch up before seeing the doctor. My advice – stay away from the glitter!

3. Wear Warm Socks–That Match!

I laughed at that piece of advice, but it’s probably a good one! You’re allowed to keep your socks on. And warmer feet do make you less nervous!

So does wearing a sweatshirt or bringing a blanket. Those rooms really can get cold, and it’s hard to relax if you’re shivering.

4. Wiggle Your Toes to Help You Relax–Plus Some Other Tips

The doctor will tell you to scooch your bum down the bed to get close, and to let your legs fall sideways while your feet are in the stirrups (rather than having your legs at right angles). Our instinct is to get as far away as possible and to stay tense. But that just makes the procedure hurt more!

5. Tell the Doctor If You’re a Virgin

Speculums (those scary looking metal tongs) come in different sizes. Ask for the smaller size if you’re a virgin–or even if you haven’t delivered a child yet.

6. Take Some IbuProfen Beforehand

It helps to ward off cramping, which can happen when the cervix gets too much “attention”. And ibuprofen is better for cramping than acetaminophen, too.