PDA

View Full Version : Best practices to avoid skin cancer

beatrix_kiddo
01-11-2009, 09:42 AM
One simple thing one can do (besides always using a good UVA/UVB sunblock lotion) is to wear a wide brimmed hat when out in the sun.
The edges of your ears are a prime location for the development of skin cancers. Because of the increased blood supply and tissue structure, skin cancers located on the edges of the ear are hard to treat and cure. Cancers located on the edges of the ear also tend to spread inward quickly more quickly than a skin cancer located on the body trunk. Wearing a brimmed hat besides suntan lotion will stop this particular risk factor completely.

kittypooh
01-13-2009, 10:47 AM
apply a UV rays protection to your skin every time you go under the sun..and don't let yourself be heat under the sun at around 8am to 3pm to avoid skin cancer

Starchild47
02-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Be sure that you apply good sunscreen to your skin even in the winter time if you are out in the sun for over 30 minutes are the new recommendations to prevent any type of skin cancer or melanoma.
Prolonged exposure to the sun really increases your chances of getting skin cancer. It is totally preventable. Remember to keep sunscreen on your children all the time as well. Their skin is much more sensitive than ours is.

boron
02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Skin cancers commonly appear around the eyes. Melanoma can even appear in iris.

So, wear 100% UV protecting glasses when exposed to strong sunlight, also during skiing or driving.

I'm not sure about properties of glass on car's windows, but someone reported repeating skin cancer on his left arm - from driving from the job to home on sunny days for several years.

akshaykalia
03-21-2009, 06:04 PM
The skin protects the body against heat and light, injury, and infection. It also helps regulate body temperature, stores water and fat, and produces vitamin D. The skin is the body’s largest organ and is made up of two main layers: the outer epidermis and the inner dermis.

There are 3 types of skin cancer: basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma (together referred to as nonmelanoma skin cancer), and melanoma. The outer layer of the skin is made up of squamous cells. Basal cells are found below the squamous cells. Melanocytes are in the deepest layer of epidermis. Melanoma develops from melanocytes.

akshaykalia
03-21-2009, 06:06 PM
People who want to minimize their risk of skin cancer can do so by following these skin care recommendations:

* Beware of sores that are not healing. People may think a sore or pimple is persistent, but it may be more serious and possibly an early form of skin cancer.

* Monitor your moles. Melanoma usually develops in a pre-existing mole. Closely monitoring moles for changes in size, shape, color and number can help. If any change is noted, a physician should be consulted immediately.

* Be cautious of bleeding and scabbing. Any area of the skin that is bleeding, scabbing or releasing fluids is extremely dangerous and a physician should be consulted immediately.

* Monitor exposure to the sun. The more sun exposure, the greater risk of skin cancer. People who work outside or individuals who live in tropical climates must understand they are not immune to the sun and that the application of sunscreen is vital throughout the year. The sun is just as damaging to the skin during the winter months as it is in the summer months.

* Know your genes. If there is a history of skin cancer in your family and you have light hair and light eyes, you are at a greater risk for skin cancer and should always protect yourself with sunscreen.

Martyn
03-30-2009, 07:36 PM
nice thank you for sharing

icebreaker
04-06-2009, 05:03 AM
One should avoid sunburn by using protective clothing. Cosmetic products like sun screen cream can also be used if there is a daily sunlight exposure.

Dennis
06-27-2009, 06:56 PM
How to avoid skin cancer??? Don`t so much on sun light and that 70% less possibility to get cancer. I read this on some doctor`s blog. I hope this helped to anyone..

saggy
02-25-2010, 11:22 AM
It's known that 80% of lifetime sun exposure is acquired before age 18. This makes taking sensible precautions in childhood and adolescence the prime preventive measure.

Here are 4 "Safe Sun" guidelines that are sponsored by the American Academy of Family Physicians:

* Avoid exposure to sunlight when the sun is strongest, that is between 10 am and 4 pm.
* Apply a sunscreen or sunblock protection, even on cloudy days. The sun protection factor (SPF) must be 15 or greater. Put it on 30 minutes before you go into the sun, everywhere the sun might touch you (even ears and back of the neck). Men shouldn't forget any areas of baldness. Add more sunscreen if you are sweating a lot or swimming.
* Dress sensibly. Wear a wide-brimmed hat -- baseball caps won't do, as they allow exposure of the back of the neck and the tops of the ears. Sunglasses that block both UV-A and UV-B rays are important, and they can protect you from cataracts as well. Protective clothing (e.g. tightly woven fabrics and long-sleeved shirts) are necessary when exposure cannot be avoided.
* Don't try to get a suntan, and don't use tanning salons.

Early diagnosis improves the likelihood of a successful cure enormously. And the greatest delay in diagnosis has been shown to be due to late presentation of patients to their physicians, rather than misdiagnosis. So increased awareness of the possibility of skin lesions is paramount.

There is some disagreement among experts as to the right frequency for full-body examination by a physician. A good compromise is for everyone to examine themselves all over once a month, with an annual inspection by a physician after the age of 40. (Of course, if there are potential risk factors, such as a family history, examinations should start earlier and be more frequent). Annual examinations offer an opportunity for the dermatologist to remove any actinic keratosis lesions.

minervagraham
04-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Glares along with sunscreen for the body is very essential. Also a lip balm with a SPF is essential. Keep reapplying after every couple of hours when out in the sun and after every swim. Most essentially apply sunscreen even if there is no sun and throughout the year.

teguhyuliantos
05-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I think, some tips to avoid skin cancer are : don't often use skin cream with mercury inside, because some people said, this mercury can damage your skin and cancer.

jasmine
06-21-2010, 07:10 AM
skin cancer is a very dangerous one which initially targets on the sense organs to develop and then they go interior. So its better to take safety measures like wearing hats, sun glasses, lip guard and good full hand cotton shirts, etc.. the very best thing is to drink more water. then please avoid going out unnecessarily at times from morning 8am to evening 4pm.

Elena K
10-04-2010, 04:17 AM
It's known that 80% of lifetime sun exposure is acquired before age 18.

I disagree. Most of sun exposure is acquired in the adulthood, kids and teens don't spend so much time outdoors these days. So it's never too late to start protecting your skin for UV rays.

vencasand
10-06-2010, 01:42 PM
all i can say on this is sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen sunscreen, and more sunscreen.

y34963
10-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Yes, if you use sunscreen every single day (even on cloudy days) you would not need as many products as you use. The sun causes more damage to our skin than anything else. It is never too late to start using a sunscreen either.

To say that It's known that 80% of lifetime sun exposure is acquired before age 18 is absolutely wrong. It is so annoying when people make statements like that that make no sense whatsoever!

Cynthia.Duepree
10-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Our skin has a natural defense system in the form of antioxidants that help to protect our skin from the sun's uv rays and can even help to prevent skin cancer by mopping up free radicals. However, these antioxidants need to be replaced constantly. Here is a blog that I found to be interesting and helpful: [ Link Under Review]

y34963
10-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Please do not spam this site.

stevesmith
01-13-2011, 09:49 AM
I have suggested some points which will help to avoid skin cancer.
1. Avoid being in the sun or using sunlamps.
2. Wear clothes made from tight woven fabric.
3. Wear sunglasses .
4.Apply sunscreens
5.Be aware of reflection.
6.Be aware of cloudy days
7.Regular check up is necessary.

smoothskin
04-01-2011, 10:27 PM
I think it's best that everyone gets checked by their dermatologists on an annual basis. Sometimes this preventative screening is a part of your health insurance (http://www.uhc.com), so it's worth it to go. It's also important to avoid sun burns as much as you can. Sun burnt skin is very damaging.

mck123
09-06-2011, 05:30 PM
According to my information that the Skin cancer is caused due to sticking the tattoos in the Skin, and many other causes for the skin care in which the skin cancer will be caused by Sun.

vencasand
09-07-2011, 01:10 PM
a million people get skin cancer and i am sure only a small percentage has tattoos!! i am not crazy about tattoos but it is not the ink that causes cancer. sun causes cancer. if you use proper sunscreen over all your body including tattoos you are protecting your self from skin cancer.

SiameseCat
09-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I'll probably get into trouble here for this, but I don't believe in avoiding the sun completely. There is no life without sunshine. Of course excess is dangerous. But some studies even show that complete avoidance of UV rays promotes certain other types of cancer. Many other bodily functions benefit from moderate sun exposure.

My real aim is to be balanced. Between sunscreen, antioxidants internally and externally and moderate UV exposure things shouldn't be too bad.

mck123
09-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks a lot for this new topic and for sharing....

Serena
09-13-2011, 04:16 PM
I agree with SiameseCat since avoiding the Sun is also not good for health. Sun's rays are an enriched source of vitamin D which is one of the most essential components that the skin requires. Sadly, not everyone is aware of this and feel that moving out in the Sun can be carcinogenic. It is advised to be in the Sun for about 15 minutes every week so that the skin can soak the goodness of the vitamin D enriched source.

vencasand
09-14-2011, 02:29 PM
you definately need sun. i am talking about over exposure with no sunscreen or sunblock on your skin. the sun gives us life, lifts our moods, allows flowers to grow. you are right Siamese cat you need to have balance.

SiameseCat
09-15-2011, 09:51 AM
It's to read from others too that excess is bad. But total avoidance of the sun is also a form of excess. It's hardly surprising that many people get depressed in winter.
As you say vencasand, there's no life without sun light.

rosalyhudson
11-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Valuable tips saggy. Thanks for the sharing.

Tyshawn77
12-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Protect your head with a wide-brimmed hat, covering your face, ears, and neck. If you choose a baseball cap, make sure to safeguard your ears and neck with sunscreen.

science girl
12-13-2012, 09:25 PM
ironically simply avoiding the sun limits your body's access to vitamin d as well...and that is one of your best defenses against skin cancer. So if you you avoid the sun please make sure you get enough d in a supplement form

Allendawson
10-15-2013, 04:50 AM
Avoid using too many chemicals on skin. This also prevents skin cancer. Cover body parts when exposed to excessive sunlight.

ascotlee
05-20-2014, 09:43 AM
Useful tips to avoid skin cancer-
Avoid tobacco
Always eat healthy diet
Stop smoking
Proper protection from sun

William Smith
06-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Try to escape from sunlight. Besides It you can try any better sunscreen on your face. It will definitely help you.

suruchipurimake
07-28-2018, 11:48 AM
Seek the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
Do not burn.
Avoid tanning and UV tanning beds.
Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
Use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day.