PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about plastic surgery?

Kay
12-26-2008, 07:45 PM
If you had an unlimited amount of money to spend on it, would you consider having it done purely for cosmetic reasons? Personally it's not something I've thought much about. We all look younger than we are in my family thanks to some lucky genes, but that doesn't mean I'd rule it out forever either. I'm more of the "each to his own" opinion on this subject.

What made me think about it was this article from Marie Claire:

Over-bleaching, over-tweezing, over-Botoxing.... The craze in upkeep has women so hooked, doctors and industry pros are now turning them away.

Sometime in the past 10 years, collagen injections, and the Fraxel laser, it became not only accepted but expected that celebrities would plot — and implement — their expensive antiaging strategies well before the first sign of a line. While the gossip on awards-show night used to be, "Did you see Meg Ryan's hair?" it became, "Did you see Meg Ryan's face?" (We doubt her plastic surgeon is experiencing the same surge in demand as Sally Hershberger, architect of her famous shag.)

Not that there's anything wrong with a little upkeep — most women today have moderate views on cosmetic surgery. In 2006, the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) revealed that 63 percent of women in this country approve of it, though just 34 percent would consider it for themselves. But Hollywood, never known for its self-control, is riding a new wave of cosmetic procedures — surgical and non — to an unrecognizable extreme. Sure, this has had some perfectly attractive, rejuvenating effects on some stars, but many have been semi-shocking (Melanie Griffith).

One has to wonder: Are they — are we — really this uncomfortable with getting older, or have cosmetic procedures become an obsession? After all: Jenna Jameson! Priscilla Presley! Courtney Love! Do they think we don't notice? Do they think they look good? And worse: Are they rubbing off on the rest of us?

The full article's here, entitled How Much is Too Much? (http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/how-much-too-much) and it made me wonder what would make you do it, or if you'd never have it done.

Why someone as beautiful as Meg Ryan would do it is beyond me. Hollywood demands eternal youth, I guess...which is a shame as it misrepresents what real women look like as they age, instead giving us this celluloid soft-lens version that 99.9% of us can't live up to.

Should we really care enough to want to though?

mimico
12-29-2008, 03:57 AM
I am open to having plastic surgery. I am happy with the way I look, but would love to lose a few inches here and there. And if I can afford safe and effective plastic surgery, then I will definitely go for it. I won't touch my face for now because I don't have wrinkles or facial problems.

davidross
12-30-2008, 03:02 PM
My wife has had lyposuction, which we still very happy with even after five years. Other than that, I think there are too many non-surgical proceedures available today that are great alternatives to cosmetic surgery.

Kay
12-30-2008, 09:08 PM
To be honest, I think I'd be too chicken but that's only because I had serious complications under anesthetic years ago. Now for me to have surgery that involves being put completely to sleep it would need to be a life or death situation or very close to that before I would consent to it.

davidross, that's a good point. There's so many alternatives now that really surgery isn't the only option like it used to be. Botox for example I believe has only been around for about twenty years and it's been even less time since its cosmetic application.

Terrikrol
01-05-2009, 09:51 AM
I personally wouldn't go for plastic surgery as I would no longer look like myself now.But if I had lots of money then I would have gone for treatments with cosmetics to improve my looks.

Djmarie21
01-06-2009, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't do it, even if I had the money. I am comfortable with aging naturally and everything that comes with it. If money was no problem, I would definitely find something better to spend it on!

Solidone
01-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Well, not that I would really need it that badly myself, but if it makes a person feel more secure and better about the themselves GO for it!
I'm still going to school and the only person that I know of that had plastic surgery is my classmate Ema. She used to be so shy, quiet, anti-social and I could go on... Now that she's had plastic surgery(rhinoplasty) she is alot more easygoing and open. People if you can afford it, then by all means...

KyleYoung
03-18-2009, 09:41 PM
I don't think most people need it. Look at Michael Jackson, he was great looking before he went under the knife. However, in some cases it does make an improvement. I have some fat on the sides that no matter what I do, and I do, I can't get rid of.

mattaff
03-19-2009, 02:58 AM
I think my nose could do with a bit of work. Its large and has a bulge at the top where i broke it years ago. What I would like done is to have the small bulge shaved down so that my nose has lines. I'm not bothered about making it smaller thats how it is meant to be.

shona
03-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Never say never.... i feel very happy with the way i look but i am only 24 years old so i might be thinking different at 40. I think a lot of celebs have too much money they dont know what to spend it on. For the average person when we feel a little down we might buy a new top or a new lip gloss but for the rich and famous they buy a new nose!!

brybry
04-09-2009, 02:16 PM
I cannot see the point for it.. If you cannot accept yourself for who you are, then having cosmetic surgery is not going to change that..

Plastic surgery fro deformation I agree with, but not so your ego can be rubbed by people who you desperately need the attention of x

vencasand
04-15-2009, 02:28 PM
this is a good topic. personally i do not believe in plastic surgery unless you are deformed or maimed. if you have horrific scars, or a broken nose, if you have a birth defect then yes plastic surgery is good. i can't understand people who have breast implants to make them larger or "perky" but that is just the way i am.

davidross
04-27-2009, 10:21 PM
I understand the logic of saying you should accept yourself the way you are, but if you took that to its natural conclusion, you would also have to be against things like makeup and wearing clothes that make you look nicer. Why even comb your hair? Most cosmetic treatments are more about getting your face or body closer to the way it looked originally.

Mena
05-28-2009, 05:56 AM
In the past, I was completely against it. Now, I am more open towards it. However, I would never try to do anything that altered my natural features. If anything, I would try to get things back like they used to be.

PaulG
07-15-2009, 07:14 AM
I don't think that plastic surgery is a real solution. If you don't look terrible and just want some "minor changers" - it can help you. But if you want to completely change your look and you are not happy with yourself then probably it's better to spend your money at psychologist.

facevalue
07-30-2009, 06:01 AM
I have to strongly disagree with these comments. Because I started menopause very early (40), I seemed to age almost overnight, I was jogging 5ks a day & doing weights & my job is physically demanding but looking in the mirror or at photos I was looking like I was 60, so I took the plunge & had a full facelift - I look exactly the same only refreshed. It was no big deal - I was back at work in a fortnight. I did however do a lot of research into the subject & found an excellent Plastic Surgeon. I certainly did not do it for any attention, I have been married for over 30 yrs so attention was not an issue. I would do it again in a hearbeat

ktm
05-05-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't think that plastic surgery is good for everyone.I know its safe operation,But after that how many prevention we have to take.And its cost is very huge.This cannot easy.This mostly done by a celebrity.They lifted their nose,lips,face and teeth and many body parts.They have lots of money to spend on it and we can say that without this they cannot make money.Overall their main job is that their every body part is look perfect.So it is not necessity of common man.

Vivian B
05-06-2010, 06:02 AM
Just say No... unless you want to say yes.

I feel that plastic surgery is a personal choice. I personally would not do it, but I'm not against it.

davewhite9970
08-26-2010, 08:07 PM
I always thought I was opposed to plastic surgery but after having kids, I feel different. I don't know if it was just desperation, or if I'd turned a new leaf after I married a doctor, not a plastic surgeon, but just having his medical knowledge has really calmed me down regarding risks. I had a great experience at meridian plastic surgery [ Link under review ]. I don't know if it's okay to link, but I got a lot of my questions answered there.

exprt143
07-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Plastic Surgery is a nice technique.I would like to say that go for plastic surgery only when it is really needed.People look more beautiful with natural beauty but i know lot of people who prefer this surgery again and again and then face lot of problems with it.Plastic surgery is a technique which discover for people having burn mark or other marks which create complex for them and they loose their confidence because of this.This is a method for helping people with serious problem but now a day people prefer this unusually.

agathatefora
07-28-2011, 02:20 PM
I am 29 years old and cosmetic plastic surgery is out for me. I'm talking for the time being but I'm not closing my doors for it.

Actors are more pressured than an ordinary person since they are subjected with unsolicited comments because they are famous and very visible with the public (not just a county or a country but the whole world).

acneperfect
10-10-2011, 11:55 AM
without money problems or risk, sure, why the heck not. Plastic surgery I think should not be overdone, but I am ok with one or two procedures done on a person. If you truly judge on personality, plastic surgery shouldn't matter. The thing that I have a problem with is people who find it overly important and do it at any cost, who are selfish about it and don't have priorities straight and act like plastic surgery is a drug and they're addicted, even if they have never done it before. I also hate people who view it as trendy. To me, plastic surgery is the same as a piercing or tattoo or hair dye. I don't hate it or love it, and I would not judge someone as being better or worse for having it than otherwise. Whatever floats your boat.

facevalue
10-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Well said ACNEPERFECT, if you do your research & find a well respected & sensible Surgeon who refuses to let you go overboard it can be very rewarding knowing your face has stopped aging ahead of your birthdays

Serena
10-11-2011, 01:02 PM
I think that surgeries should be encouraged only when it is the only solution to an issue. If someone can live better then why not. But the fact is that everyone has something which needs improvement which is essentially why the saying goes that no one's perfect, which is true. However, do your loved ones accept the way you are? Do they love you or their affection is only restricted to your looks? Think about it........if that is true then unfortunately they do not love you. So I feel that change whatever needs to be improved from within. It is not just a saying that the most beautiful things on the earth are children. Try being as selfless, satisfied, happy and fun loving as them and then feel the difference.

Jenny
12-19-2011, 06:21 AM
I think god had made everyone in the way they will look good. I am against this surgery if some of doing it unnecessarily that might look u more vulgar then before if its actually not needed to your body.

peakforeclosure
08-24-2012, 09:09 AM
If you are considering plastic surgery, you must be honest with yourself. Just because the name includes the word "plastic" doesn't mean patients who have this surgery end up with a face full of fake stuff. Plastic surgery is a special type of surgery that can involve both a person's appearance and ability to function.
~Thanks

skinlover
08-28-2012, 02:16 PM
No I don't agree with it, or ever want it.
BUT saying that, I want to get into the beauty industry, which can involve administering botox and other procedures which can also be altering to the body.
I wouldn't necesarily mind being the surgeon, but definitely not the patient.
I am blessed, I was born slim and have double D boobs.
Even though I won't have this forever, I still wouldn't change it 20-30 years down the line.
When I have children I want them to see the same person all through their lives, and the only thing that will change is that I will age. Which is a natural process and one, I think, shouldn't be interrupted.
I'm tired of seeing fake looking people and people that have changed themselves.
It's silly, don't do it and love what you have.

L.
x

facevalue
08-29-2012, 08:27 AM
No I don't agree with it, or ever want it.
BUT saying that, I want to get into the beauty industry, which can involve administering botox and other procedures which can also be altering to the body.
I wouldn't necesarily mind being the surgeon, but definitely not the patient.
I am blessed, I was born slim and have double D boobs.
Even though I won't have this forever, I still wouldn't change it 20-30 years down the line.
When I have children I want them to see the same person all through their lives, and the only thing that will change is that I will age. Which is a natural process and one, I think, shouldn't be interrupted.
I'm tired of seeing fake looking people and people that have changed themselves.
It's silly, don't do it and love what you have.

L.
x

You really don't know how you will react to aging until it starts to creep up on you, sometimes fading hormones & hormone imbalances can have devastating effects, looking older than your years, I had a face & neck lift some years ago (50) & I'm glad I did, never thinking when I was in my 20's or even 30's that I'd go under the knife. You only see the stupid celebs doing stupid things to themselves, not all of us come out looking like freaks. As for boobs, you will never know what it's like to have nothing, I can tell you it's not great, most women want to look like a woman, at least I have always wanted to but that is where I draw the line, I'm afraid I'm to scared of the pain involved.

skinlover
08-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Nah, I'll stick with what I have.

starngeboy
09-21-2012, 09:11 PM
To be honest i wuld like to but i am scared. I would like to one day, and i would like my wife to do it too.

skinlover
09-27-2012, 01:05 PM
you want your wife to have plastic surgery? is that what you just said?

Doracollis03
10-15-2012, 05:49 AM
without any proper reason I would never go for plastic surgery I thing it is totally money waste. And also not an option if your face is OK and you have no problem with that!!

bharatbookburea
02-07-2013, 04:17 AM
It is good if we do it when it would be necessary, like in the burning cases.
Plastic surgery may show adverse effects some times i.e. Damaging Peer Reactions, Infection, Nerve Damage, Blood Clots but it doesn't mean it will happen with everyone.

catherinebeauty
08-09-2013, 02:17 PM
That is a hard question. I agree with shona, now I can avoid surgery by using other methods. But who know what is going to happen in 10 years? The technology is progressing too, so maybe the plastic surgery will become safer? Or maybe we won't need this kind of surgery at all? Anyway, for now my answer is no, let's see what happens next :)

frankwinger
08-28-2013, 09:30 PM
nope waste of time i would never let my wife or me do it.

Anayah Amber
09-05-2014, 10:50 AM
thanks to share this but i don't think so its a safe way?
If you had an unlimited amount of money to spend on it, would you consider having it done purely for cosmetic reasons? Personally it's not something I've thought much about. We all look younger than we are in my family thanks to some lucky genes, but that doesn't mean I'd rule it out forever either. I'm more of the "each to his own" opinion on this subject.

What made me think about it was this article from Marie Claire:

The full article's here, entitled How Much is Too Much? (http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/how-much-too-much) and it made me wonder what would make you do it, or if you'd never have it done.

Why someone as beautiful as Meg Ryan would do it is beyond me. Hollywood demands eternal youth, I guess...which is a shame as it misrepresents what real women look like as they age, instead giving us this celluloid soft-lens version that 99.9% of us can't live up to.

Should we really care enough to want to though?

kaufenpreis
06-27-2016, 05:52 PM
Personally i do not believe in plastic surgery unless you are deformed or maimed.

addisoncave
11-22-2016, 04:56 AM
ya no need of plastic surgery natural thing is natural god creates us unique and beautiful.

philiproux09
04-16-2020, 04:57 AM
I am open to having plastic surgery. I am happy with the way I look, but would love to lose a few inches here and there agence référencement Paris. And if I can afford safe and effective plastic surgery, then I will definitely go for it. I won't touch my face for now because I don't have wrinkles or facial problems.
I advise you to lose your few extra pounds using natural methods.

willmane
10-03-2021, 01:40 PM
I don't think that plastic surgery is a real solution. If you don't look terrible and just want some "minor changers" - it can help you. But if you want to completely change your look and you are not happy with yourself then probably it's better to spend your money at psychologist here.