PDA

View Full Version : What is botox?

beauT29
12-13-2008, 10:10 AM
I have heard people say that most of the hollywood stars who are in their 40's and 50's have undergone botox treatment.. Is it a surgery that is performed on their skin or is it applied topically??

Ashu
12-15-2008, 11:13 AM
It is a toxin produced by bacterium Clostridium botulinum.In larger quantity it causes serious paralysis and botulism , but small quantity applied on muscle causes muscle to relaxed thus removing contraction of muscle ( ie wrinkle of muscle ).

mimico
12-16-2008, 03:52 AM
I have seen some of my mom's friends who've had botox and it really does make their skin tighter. The wrinkles are gone, but new ones appear after the procedure. It makes one look a bit fake though because their cheeks and forehead are stiff and unmoving most of the time.

davidross
12-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Botox is a purified protein that works by blocking overactive nerve impulses that trigger excessive muscle contractions or glandular activity. The effect is temporary and lasts from approximately one to six months, depending on the individual patient and indication.

I agree with mimico that it can look a bit fake if not done right, so make sure you use a clinic with a lot of experience. There are other alternatives like facial fillers that are a bit more expensive, but last longer.

avinav
12-20-2008, 08:06 AM
here is the link:
http://dermatalk.com/blogs/reviews/anti-wrinkle-secrets-of-botox/

larry
12-22-2008, 01:33 AM
here is the link:
http://dermatalk.com/blogs/reviews/anti-wrinkle-secrets-of-botox/

What about anti-wrinkle creams? like Wrinkle Erase?

Kayla77
01-22-2009, 08:14 PM
botox actually contains the most potent naturally occurring toxin on the planet. A matchhead size of pure botulinism toxin has enough power to wipe out the world ... kind of scary if you think about it :-)

larry
01-28-2009, 01:28 PM
There are some patented compounds such as arigeline. Arigeline, a peptide, is non-toxic and no side effects have been reported. It actually causes facial muscles to relax and thus reduces the appearance of facial lines and wrinkles. It can be applied topically and is absorbed by the skin. It wil probably take a bit longer for Arigeline to work....say 2 - 4 weeks. It is not as dramatic and quick as Botox injection. But it certainly complements patients who had Botox treatments.

Kayla77
01-29-2009, 05:23 PM
GABA is also a great way to temporarily reduce wrinkles. I am currently using a product that has GABA in it and it does wonders for wrinkles and puffiness around my eyes. Great alternative and much cheaper

SkinAdvice
03-03-2009, 06:47 PM
GABA is also a great way to temporarily reduce wrinkles. I am currently using a product that has GABA in it and it does wonders for wrinkles and puffiness around my eyes. Great alternative and much cheaper

Botox works to tighten the skin & reduce wrinkles. It works but you have to continue using it or else the wrinkles will come back.

Starchild47
03-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Does anyone else here have problems thinking about putting poison into their skin over and over? I know that doctors think that putting that minute amount in the injection is safe, but to me I think if I can get the results in another manner, I will go that route. I checked out Botox for my back problems and would not use it even for that.

LMR
01-17-2011, 07:05 PM
I love botox. I only get a small amount for between the eyebrows. It helps lift the eye area a bit. But it doesn't not tighten the skin....it just paralyzes the muscle so you can't frown and the skin does not fold and wrinkle.

I get such a small amount that nobody knows and my face does not look frozen. And, after a few injections you only need a touch up like twice a year. The first time i had it done (2000) I had 4 injections that year (one every 3 months). But then, it sort of builds up a bit and you only need to do it like twice a year......which saves $$$$

I had it injected around the crow's feet area, but never seems to last as long. So I just stick to the forehead area.

There is a new botox called Dysport. It cost a little more but last much longer and kicks in faster. You know when you get a botox injection, it takes like 4-5 days for it to kick in. But Dysport kicks in right away. Plus, the drug company that makes Dysport gives you coupons for like $50.00 off your next treatment so....it helps :)

Ajmal Khan
05-11-2016, 04:38 AM
Botox is a non-surgical method to wipe out wrinkles and lines from the face. It is mostly used for 3 purposes like severe underarm sweating, muscle spasm control, and cosmetic improvements. It is a trusted botulinum toxin used all over the world for looking younger and fresh. In United States, it was top non-surgical procedure in 2013 between men & women.
There are various clinics that offers botox treatment in delhi, if you are put up in delhi and looking for it then first choose trusted & experienced expert for treatment because there may be some side effects if it's not take properly.

MichaelRiggins
03-21-2017, 05:12 AM
I read somewhere that botox helps to reduce wrinkles.