PDA

View Full Version : Does nail polish protect nails from breaking ?

smriti
12-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi i'm new at this site.My problem is that my nails gets chipped always,and i always feel discomfort when my cuticles dig into my skin .When I file my nails, there is always white residue under my nails but it goes away in a day's time, is this normal? i put nail polish all the time and i love it. I heard nail polish protects nails from breaking easily, but it's not working for me. please help me.

Ashu
12-08-2008, 10:31 AM
First let me welcome you to forum.First thing to do is just prevention from further damage.you can use cuticle oil frequently or even daily if your nails are flaky and brittle.Don't cut or tear the skin or cuticles by yourself as they help in protecting the growth center of your nail.

Always remember to apply a hand cream after you wash your hand, as some soap makes nails very dry which results peeling and become brittle. Yea Nail polish does protect the natural nail, but remember to remove it as soon as it starts to chip. don't peel off nail polish, as this might also result in removal of the top layer of your nail leading to further damage. Have your nails manicured on a regular basis, usually every three to four weeks to make sure that your hands and nails remain healthy.

smriti
12-08-2008, 07:24 PM
thanks ashma for welcoming me and thanks for your quick reply .I'll follow your advice.but then any more advice ???

vencasand
12-09-2008, 03:06 PM
i would agree with ashma. don't use really harsh chemicals like acetone on your nails. when you wash your hands use a little of your favorite lotion to massage into your nails. i would always use a base polish before adding the color. when you file your nails be gentle just file the tips, and if you want length taken off cut them before you file. i have to wash my hands several times a day. i use a moisterizing antibacterial soap and in between i use a moisterizing hand sanitizer. (i work with medications all day). good luck

mimico
12-17-2008, 12:47 PM
There are protective nail polishes in clear color that might help to strengthen your nails. I know Sally Hansen has some which are affordable. Opi and Orly also have nail protectors. If you have brittle nails then eating jelly should also help.

smriti
05-13-2009, 02:31 PM
thank you for your suggestions.

jasmine
06-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Smirti I really love these discussions related to nails are really useful. I also have the same doubt as you have and now I'm also benefited by reading through all the replies for your thread. Thanks to all.

markylove
07-17-2010, 01:50 AM
My aunt said that frequent changing or putting nail polish can be bad for nail. For nail cuticles can make the nails fragile.

chinee
08-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi welcome smriti, I would like to help you to your problem, perhaps you would like to try garlic. They say that garlic can make your nail strong and hard. This could might be an answer to everything. I hope I was able to work.

unhcounhco
10-31-2011, 05:52 PM
The right nail care must be done to keep the nails at their best condition. ... Growing the nails long may seem beautiful especially when nail polish is applied. ... Most people also use the nails for open something that can cause them to break. ...

Jenny
01-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Its nothing like that nail polish protects nails from breakage but yes its protect the nails from fungus that can cause to nails.
I don't know the exact solution for nail breakage but some may have very soft nails that leads to breaking by any small harm.

skinlover
02-23-2012, 11:52 PM
I use a base coat by Collection 2000, I love it. It's so cheap compared to other polishes and also smoothes out the appearance of ridges on the nails and gives your nails a very shiny appearance! It's ideal under coloured polish, but also looks fab on its own!
I believe it helps my nails look stronger and healthier.
L.
x

Ziesha001
04-03-2012, 08:50 AM
But I think Nail Polish helps your nail to grow and stop breakage but what can be used to prevent the cuticles side ?

links123
04-29-2013, 06:39 AM
Good quality nail polish will not effect the nails. One should apply some mustard oil after washing the hands with soap.

hemantlatawa
05-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Nail-polish doesn't help too much but There are some tips for healthy nails:
(1) use sweet almond oil on your nails several times a day. It will moisturize and condition both your nails and cuticles and make them healthy and flexible so they won't break when they bend. Pure oil is better than creams that contain the oil.
(2) Switch from an emery board for filing to a diamond dust or sapphire file. Revlon makes an excellent diamond dust nail file. common emery boards are very coarse and can shred your nails. diamond files have far finer particles and are less harsh on the nails.
(3) File in one direction only, don't go back and forth, again this is shredding the nail.
(4) Use a nail strengthener. One product you have probably never heard of but is used to grow long strong nails is Mavala Scientifique penetrating nail hardener. It's not a polish or a lacquer that sits on top of the nail, it's a treatment product that you need to only use once or twice a week at the beginning, then once every two weeks after that.

meomeo2005
11-15-2013, 04:30 AM
My nails are very hard and very difficult to cut my nails

kevinkrieger
12-02-2013, 04:26 AM
Apply a clear base coat when wearing nail polish.
Avoid any nail polishes that contain toluene, formaldehyde and DBP.
Apply hand lotion after every time you wash or wet your hands.

mariawatson
11-10-2014, 06:08 AM
I was gifted the nail kit from Sakare by a friend and it has been my companion ever since. Now I can look to keep my nails in perfect shape without even bothering to visit a beautician.

Best part I brought myself one of these at a such a discount rate from the Neal Street outlet that it barely made a dent in my wallet. Oh yes while I was Sakare I also open to try its nourishment mask!

marclewis
01-09-2015, 05:04 AM
It’s very important to remove nail polish from nails after 4 to 5 days. Leave your nails without nail colors at least one day in a week.

Deery1979
02-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the valuable information. However, my query is regarding the same concern but my nails have started to get weaker as the pregnancy period is passing by. I am very concerned about it. I am in the 5th month and my nails have simply become no more than the tissues. Please let me know if it is usual or do i need serious medical attention?

stevex
04-04-2015, 10:37 AM
clip them on regular basis
use a better moisturiser
filing direction should be from sides towards center
buff your nails and smooth ridges in your nails and make them shiny as well
you can even have a checkup and ask doctor about the presence of fungus or infection.

Nutritionforest
07-19-2016, 07:38 AM
Apply moisturizer whenever you wash your hands.
especially at night when you are going to sleep you should apply a hand cream on them.
and with this you should try Biotin from nutritionforest

ascotlee
10-24-2016, 12:25 PM
thanks! ashma for giving a useful and informative answer.

ramijabali
09-15-2017, 10:10 AM
Yes, Nail Polish is a best option to protect nails from breaking and decay. It also reduces moisture loss. But you have to apply the best quality polish on nails rather than buying it from a less famous brand.