PDA

View Full Version : !! Is this eczema? Severe rash on face (pregnant) !!

seaiscalm
06-22-2014, 09:38 PM
I am 32 weeks pregnant and have been blessed with totally flawless skin for the first two trimesters. (I usually have issues with mild acne).
When the third trimester came around I started getting a little bit of eczema (self diagnosed) around my mouth that I treated with some mometasone furoate cream and hydrocortisone.
That seemed to help a little bit but I could never get it to completely go away.
Then, suddenly, within a matter of a few days it went from something totally mild to THIS!
I went immediately to the doctor (not a dermatologist - my insurance doesn't cover that).
He said with total certainty that I had impetigo.
He prescribed duricef (oral antibiotics) as well as mupirocin (topical antibiotics).
For the last 10 days I have taken the medication on schedule, kept my skin clean and hydrated and have worn no makeup whatsoever.
I have seen maybe a 5-10% improvement in my skin but I'm very disappointed that I still am at a point where I am not comfortable leaving the house.
I'm thinking I was misdiagnosed...
I have patches of bumpy, tender, very itchy skin around my mouth and on my eyelids.
There is a very small amount of "weeping" but I haven't noticed the honey-colored crust that is supposed to accompany impetigo.
HELP??

Dr.Deepak
06-23-2014, 02:41 AM
Welcome to the forum,scaiscalm.. This looks like perioral dermatitis to me. Will catch u later for more suggestions.. Quite busy now..

seaiscalm
06-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Before I went to see the doctor I did a lot of online research and I was convinced it was perioral dermatitis. But the doctor totally blew me off on that one. Totally acted like I was crazy. :(
I've looked at all the causes and mine has to be primarily caused by the hormonal changes of pregnancy, the topical steroid use for what I initially thought was eczema and... I have recently stopped using my steroid inhaler for asthma.
I was using it multiple times a day for years until I found out that pasteurized dairy was causing my symptoms. When that was removed from my diet my asthma disappeared.
That was right around the time that this started showing up on my face in its mild form.
I haven't seen any cure for it online. Just oral antibiotics which I have already tried unsuccessfully.
If this lasts until my baby is born (two more months) I don't know what I'll do...
And if it last even longer I'll be devastated.

Dr.Saiyan
06-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Hi seaiscalm!welcome to our forum. Your condition seems like perioral pityriosporum folliculitis to me. As you are pregnant you can try some topical antifungal medications like cotrimazole . Thus I suggest you to have a dermatologist consulted carry on simple KOH test done and carry on with the medication. Hope you keep us updated, we will be happy to hear from you.

seaiscalm
06-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Thank-you! Since the dermatologist doesn't have an opening for another month I will go ahead and try an over-the-counter cotrimazole cream right away and let you know how it works. *Crossing fingers

Dr.Saiyan
06-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Another probable diagnosis is seborrhoeic dermatitis which is also caused by fungus malassezia furfur . So antifungal medication can be used for both condition. Mild corticosteroids like hydrocortisone can be added for first few weeks to decrease the inflammation. Still simple KOH test is confirmatory in both condition. Hope you keep us updated.

seaiscalm
07-01-2014, 09:05 PM
So it's been one week since I started using the cotrimazole cream. My condition has not gotten any worse, so that's good.. It has maybe improved mildly, but not much. The differences I can see is that it's a little less bumpy and less itchy for sure. But it's still super red and irritated and still has a good share of bumps.

Is there anything else you can suggest I try? My dermatologist appointment is still 24 days away!!

I'm hesitant to try any corticosteroids just in case this actually is perioral dermatitis. I would hate to see this get any worse than it already is.... what do you think?

seaiscalm
08-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Update:
I have one week left until my due date and am happy to say that my face has 95% cleared up.
While I was waiting to get in to see a dermatologist I started using colloidal silver 30ppm topically all over and Curaid brand Silver Solution for the real problem areas with some positive results.
When I finally was able to see a dermatologist, she diagnosed me with perioral dermatitis and prescribed clindamycin phosphate gel 1%.
I used that for about a week and noticed some slight positive results but I almost felt like the silver was doing more.
So I started using the colloidal silver and silver solution in combination with the clindamycin gel.
That was the trick apparently.
It took some patience, but within about 2 weeks it has almost completely gone away.
I still have some redness, but for the most part my skin is calm and smooth.
:)

katty78
08-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Hello I have had Eczema all my life and tried everything under the sun. Below is how I am managing to keep on top of things 

1. Eating lots of wholegrains, fruit, vegetables, pulses, nuts & seeds, lean protein
2. Cut down on dairy & sugar
3. Use pure chimps super combo
4. Take a daily probiotic tablet, use honey too sweeten things (both boost your immune system)
5. Take a multivitamin every day

Hope this can help

dominic1
08-20-2014, 12:04 PM
I used to suffer quite badly from dry skin and I tried many solutiions untill I found this fantastic product. I tried E45 cream available. But I recently found this product made from Aloe Vera which has done wonders for my skin. If anyone wants to have a try of this Aloe Vera product then you should get in touch :)