PDA

View Full Version : Skin shedding as white flakes

Varun
11-15-2008, 11:04 AM
I am a 20yr old student from India,
I am having this problem from the past 3 to 4 years, i have white flakes of skin falling from my scalp all the time but when i don not have head bath even for one day my scalp starts emmiting foul smell which is prety embarassing for me, so i have to have head bath each and everyday.
Can i know what is my problem, i never consulted a doctor for the problem but have used many anti dandruff shampoos which never worked for me.

mimico
11-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Is water expensive in India? I take a bath every day as well because I don't like skipping baths. Not only do I get clean, I also feel a lot better when I go to sleep. So if water's not expensive in your area then I don't see why you can't take a bath every day. Anyway, the white flakes are probably dandruff. Try using an anti-dandruff shampoo like Head&shoulders for a while. :)

Dr.Deepak
11-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Wash your head with shampoo containig salicylic acid or selenium sulfide it can be easily brought in medical stores in india ,but make sure to use only 2-3 times a week not daily.Wash your hair with normal shampoo daily then use the above mentioned medical shampoos 2-3 times a week .your problem will possible be solved.

vencasand
11-16-2008, 02:49 PM
you could have a fungal infection on your head. i know this sounds horrible but it is more common than some think. you can try nizoral shampoo. i don't know if it is available without rx in india. generic name is ketoconazole. it works well for a lot of people. it is good to wash your hair every day. i do. i have below the waist long hair. i have psoriasis in my hair but it does not emit an odor. try the nizoral shampoo. if this doesn't help i would see a doctor.

Solidone
01-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I know exactly what you mean. My brother had the same thing happening to him. What I would recommend you buy is an anti-pelliculaire treatment shampoo from Vichy. It really did the trick for him, however I have to tell you that the shampoo itself does not have a very fragrant smell. To me it smells like rubber gloves that your dentists would use.

boron
01-28-2009, 07:15 PM
It sounds like seborrheic dermatitis. Oil glands on the scalp are overactive. The scalp may additionally get infected with some fungi. Usual antidandruff shampoos won't be enough, but ones containing salycilic acid and coal tar should be used.

Sugar should be avoided. Foods with vitamin A and zinc should be considered. Salmon or sardines, containing Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are good for scalp skin in seborrheic dermatitis, but saturated fats in dairy products and red meat should be limited as much as possible.

Hair should be kept dry, and regular exposure to sun (but not sunbathing) helps to kill fungi.

Hair should be not washed with hot water, but with lukewarm water. Hair should be dried naturally, not with a hot air from hair-drier.

Other causes of itchy scalp