PDA

View Full Version : What could this be? Pic included

thegolfer86
02-25-2014, 05:27 AM
The sides of my upper body have been dry for about 4 months. That's besides this new concern. A few days ago these little red bumps started appearing on the left side of my upper body. There's only a couple on the right side. When they first appeared I thought bug bites, then herpes, then sweat dermatitis, maybe eczema, maybe an allergic reaction, don't think it's shingles. Never had chickenpox. They really don't itch. They are dry & rough feeling. I'm 27, somewhat active with safe sex, no problems in genital areas. I'm clueless. ..

Dr.Deepak
02-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the forum Cody.. Well, picture is not clear, this could be Guttate Psoriasis or Pityriasis Rosea.. Anyway few questions..
How did it started initially? did they came all of sudden or was followed by single big rash?
Did you had any fever or flu like symptoms before or during the rash appearance?
Are the lesion scaly? if yes do the lesions have fine scales around or somewhat thick scales all around the lesion?
Are they localized only to right side of the back or whole back?
Any other parts of the body?
When you try to scratch does it bleed?
When you press the lesion does they fade out?
could u post a clear closeup pics?

thegolfer86
02-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Dr. Deepak, my apology for the first picture not being very clear. I've attached two more hoping they will be of more quality. To answer your questions, it seems like they all appeared about the same time. They are not that big either. I haven't had any feelings of illness. I'm not sure how to characterize how scaly they are/aren't. The majority of them (the worst), as seen in the picture, are mostly localized to the left side of my upper body. However there are a couple isolated ones (here and there), such as two on my arm, pectorial, and upper back. It doesn't bleed when I scratch them, kinda like dry skin scratching. When I press, hold, and remove on them the redness kinda fades away and comes back.

Dr.Deepak
03-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Sorry for late reply Cody, this looks like Pityriasis Rosea to me, which is self limiting disease. Usually no any treatment is required beside symptomatic management. Try to avoid soaps and other harsh chemicals. You may apply moisturizing lotions to avoid excess dryness, and mild steroids cream and lotion might help resolve the lesion quicker. Being said that online diagnosis might not be that accurate (could also be guttate psoriasis or any other..) So visiting a dermatologist and confirming the case is very important so it can be managed effectively.