PDA

View Full Version : Small Red Dots on Arms & Legs @ the Hair Follicle

Adamtrons
09-23-2013, 02:19 AM
Hello! I’ve had small red dots on my arms and legs for a several years. I’ve gone to two different doctors but they didn’t know what it was. I also had allergy testing to find out if it might be caused by my diet, but the skin prick test showed no food allergies. The only thing I appear to be allergic too is ash tree, grasses, etc.- none of which are nearby. I’m wondering if it is eczema or dermatitis but it doesn’t match the large red flare-ups that I’ve seen in other photos. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time. Sample photo below:

http://i39.tinypic.com/6ooswn.jpg

-Adam

Dr.Deepak
09-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Welcome to the forum adam, it looks like keratosis pilaris to me which is quite common on arms and thigh. Check if your parents have them?

Although harmless condition it can sometime be annoying. Does it itch? applying moisturizers along with peeling agents like (retinoids, salicylic acid, 15-20% urea, lactic acid) and mild steroids might help resolve the lesions. But there is no any universally accepted effective treatment for KP. Please visit the dermatologist and confirm the case and he/she will help u with the best medications.

Adamtrons
10-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Welcome to the forum adam, it looks like keratosis pilaris to me which is quite common on arms and thigh. Check if your parents have them?

Although harmless condition it can sometime be annoying. Does it itch? applying moisturizers along with peeling agents like (retinoids, salicylic acid, 15-20% urea, lactic acid) and mild steroids might help resolve the lesions. But there is no any universally accepted effective treatment for KP. Please visit the dermatologist and confirm the case and he/she will help u with the best medications.

Hello Dr.Deepak,

Thank you so much for replying to my question. I looked up keratosis pilaris online- the photos and description do indeed seem to match what I have. I've been trying to identify this for a very long time, so thank you for pointing me in the right direction! It does sometime get itchy, especially now that it's Fall and the air is less humid and more dry and cold. Some people are saying that daily coconut oil has reduced keratosis pilaris or made it go away completely, so I've started using it and we'll see how it goes. I will also get to a dermatologist soon. Thank you again for your time and knowledge!
:)

-Adam

Dr.Deepak
10-04-2013, 03:24 AM
Yea coconut oil or any moisturizers helps decrease the lesion, but for faster and effective treatment, adding salicyclic acid and 15-20% urea is recommended. As the area is very dry, 2-3 times application of moisturizers is recommended.