PDA

View Full Version : help with my Ringworm

Martyn
08-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi i'm 31 years male with serious skin infection in my groin area.It's a rash that look like a ring worm and is very itchy.I've tried ointments like Itchguard and ringguard and they don't seem to work.Please suggest any medications or any other alternative.

Ashu
08-28-2008, 02:50 AM
from your description you must be having a type of fungal infection called tinea.As you have also said it as ringworm.Ringworm is very common skin problem.the rash is very typical,it is more or less annular with slightly raised,redish botder and central clearing.The most commonly affected sites are where there more sweating like groin,toe clefts and other folds.any area of skin could be affected.most common in summer and and hot climates with high humidity .Obesity increases risk..

prevention is the best cure:
Avoid synthetic and tight clothes.The best choice is loose,cotton clothing, undergarments should always be of cotton and change daily.

Take habit of washing the sweat with water only-once in the evening, especially in summer.

Keep dry the folds such as groins,armpits and toe clefts.If you have excessive sweating,it is better for you to use powder in the morning.

Avoid using soap in the folds and genital areas,use less soap in other areas of the body.If the problem is recurrent,it is better to use soap free detergents or antifungal shampoos for washing.

Ringworm can be treated.there are topical antifungal preparations such as creams,shampoos and powders containing clotrimazole, ketoconazole, miconazole etc.. If the problem is of long duration and there are numerous rashes,then systemic antifungal like fluconazole itraconazole can be used,but there may be recurrence and it may be necessary to repeat the treatment.Some corticosteriods can also be applied,but for any medications dermatological consultation is good.

Desmodu87
09-23-2008, 05:26 AM
I'm not a fan of the Evil Ringworm so hopefully this will help you out.

A friend of mine who is half Japanese recommended to me once to try Wasabi paste (Japanese horseradish) on it. After I gave it a try, the ringworm cleared up in about 3 days.

I'm not 100% sure about this remedy, but it did work for me so give it a try. :h3:

Dr. Clean
09-23-2008, 12:03 PM
the problem is very acute for people who live in countries were in it sweats a lot. you can use Absorb power availble in the market and apply twice a day. you should also see that the affected part is not always covered but also exposed to air.

Martyn
02-21-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm not a fan of the Evil Ringworm so hopefully this will help you out.

A friend of mine who is half Japanese recommended to me once to try Wasabi paste (Japanese horseradish) on it. After I gave it a try, the ringworm cleared up in about 3 days.

I'm not 100% sure about this remedy, but it did work for me so give it a try. :h3:

hey where can i get that Wasabi paste can i buy in stores or.. ?? please..

i used clotrimazole and ketoconazole creams it goes away and it comes back again.

boron
02-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Martyn, if ointments don't help, you will maybe need prescribed oral drugs. But even those won't give you permanent relief if you're having wet groin. Other causes of persistent fungal infections are low immunity, long term antibiotics, a lot of sugar in the diet...

Wearing comfortable cotton underwear, and keeping groin dry are basic meassures to prevent fungi.

Martyn
02-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Thank you boron for your suggestion.

vencasand
02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
do you use the clotrimazole and ketoconazole for a few days after the infection cleared up. sometimes it is still there and continues to be treated even after symptoms disappear.
i know it is a hassle but try the ketoconazole again and use it a week after the redness and itch goes away.

Starchild47
02-25-2009, 08:50 AM
One way to help keep skin areas dry that are prone to sweating is to use corn starch instead of talcum powder which tends to bead up and may irritate further. Take some corn starch and put in a cloth, tie it up with a rubber band or a ribbon or piece of string. Use it like a powder puff. It really helps!

Ange202
05-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi Martyn,

I used Lamisal cream for a ringworm infection from October 2008 to present and although the infection had greatly healed up I was still getting the occasional itchy blister even WITH the lamisal. The lamisal hadn't killed the spores under the top layer of skin.

Last week I learned that acidophilus probiotic can help rid the fungal infection from the inside and am now on my sixth day of this probiotic capsule together with a garlic capsule and what a difference and a relief as this infection has been sooo stubborn! the redness has gone and it's just like a shadow on the skin now. I would recommend you try this if you are still suffering. Cut out sugar from your diet if you can, as this feeds the fungus. If you can't cut it out altogether cut down, or use an alternative like manuka honey, which is antifungal. Pure virgin coconut oil rubbed into the area can help as well, but definately try the probiotic which you can buy from health food shops.

Angela

healthmon
06-20-2010, 05:45 PM
I was told to avoid starch based powders, as ringworm feed on them.