PDA

View Full Version : Jock Itch, please help

Foxtrot
04-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Hey everyone, I am a 21 yo overweight male (6' 250lbs) who has recently started to work out
However unfortunately i started to develop a very red rash around my groin area, first I saw bumps, then redness, then fungus... I found out that this is called "Jock Itch" since football players get it regularly.. My legs are very big and they always rub together when I walk or run, making the rash worse every step I take. I have taken a few steps in the right direction (hopefully) to treat this thing

1. I use a cream prescribed by my doctor twice daily (redness has not subsided)
2. I take an oatmeal bath for the irritation
3. I regularly groom that region of my body (I am very hairy), so I recently trimmed the irritated area carefully to prevent too much sweating
4. I air out the rashes every so often and wear loose fitting shorts and boxers (cotton)

Despite my efforts after 3 days the rash in fact looks worse than it did when I saw the doctor... This worries me because at work I have to walk constantly, plus I have a hot date this Friday and do NOT want that area of my body to smell like fungus... :confused:

Please help! How long does jock itch usually last? Why does it even happen, and in my case (pictures attached) what should I be/not be doing to help treat it? am I doing the right thing or not

Left side2346
Right Side2345

Any feedback would be most appreciated

Dr.Deepak
04-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the forum Lino, your condition is candidal intertrigo. Many people do confused with Tinea Cruris (Jock itch) but that doesn't make any vast difference because treatment is almost the same. Yes, obesity and any factors that promoted skin rubbing will aggravate this condition. Commonly seen in moist intertriginous areas like groins or any other skin folds.

Important aspect of management is to avoid or treat/correct underlying condition (in your case: obesity). Also as moisture and maceration are key factors for fungal overgrowth, keeping the area dry is very important. You may dry the area with hair dryer (cool dry only). Usually topical antifugal medications are sufficient for most of the cases. However, if topical alone is not working oral anti-fungal medications like Fluconazole, itraconazole and terbinafine may be used.

What medications are you using right now? Combination of two anti-fungal works better, like clotrimazole in the morning and ciclopirox/ketoconazole in the evening....In Addition you may use drying agents too. Also if you are using anti-fungal powder avoid using powder and the cream at the same time. you may use cream in the morning and evening and powder during the day.

Although not recomended for regular use, low potency steroids like hydrocortisone may also be used once daily during initial treatment (to soothe the itching, pain and irritation). You may also take oral anti-itch medications to avoid itching.

Foxtrot
04-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice! I would've never guessed it was candidal intertrigo, my doctor must not have taken a good enough look (I don't like him anyways)
He did however prescribe me a cream that he said acted as both an anti-fungal and a corticosteroid, it says on the tube "Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream" I apply it twice (sometimes thrice) daily

I have been doing a lot of studying recently so at home, I just sit completely naked from the waist down on a towel on my office chair with an air purifier facing my groin from a distance to keep it dry, is that a good strategy?

Dr.Saiyan
05-02-2013, 05:22 AM
The medicine and strategy you used both seem helpful for candidal intertrigo. But you can also use some oral antifungal medications like fluconazole weekly and clotrimazole powder on the affected area to avoid the friction according to suggestion of your dermatologist.