PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious rash

Tarantulaman
04-23-2013, 03:57 AM
Hello, I'm new to the site and glad I found this site. I'm a Hispanic male 24 years old. Last Tuesday I noticed I started to scratch the left side of my back a lot and after a while I looked in the mirror and saw this really weird rash. It looks like a bunch of little blisters together. I have no idea how I got it. When I touch it it feels kinda hard and a bit scaly. I've tried 2 different rash creams and none of them seem to make it go away. Today I took a picture and noticed it went from red, to almost purple. Not sure of that's a good or bad thing but as you can see from the picture, it looks like the bumps were bleeding or something. They seemed to have calmed down and I noticed that there's different little holes so now I'm wondering if maybe something small like a bug or spider bit me repeatedly. I did buy a new shirt last Monday and wore it on Tuesday and I did stay at my aunt's house Monday night. So there is a possibility something bit me but it's odd how I didn't notice it until nighttime when I normally notice bug bites not too long after I'm bitten. So now it's either a rash or bug bites I'm thinking. It doesn't really itch unless I rub against or scratch or every now and then it itches on its own. It does hurt whenever I accidently hit against it. If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Dr.Saiyan
04-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi Misael! welcome to Dermatalk.Your rash seems like grouped papulo-vesicular lesion with crust above it. From the picture the condition seems eczema herpeticum to me. In simple term herpes simplex infection ( yea, same virus that causes cold sore) over the eczema. However there are several other conditions that can resemble such.

So does it feel like burning, stinging sensation?
Was it associated with mild fever or flu-like symptoms initially?
Do you have painful swelling on underarms? (regional lymphadenopathy)
Have you had cold sore breakouts in the pasts or recently?

Usually Antiviral medications are prescribed as early as possible, but its already late for the medications as it may not have beneficial effects after 72 hrs of eruption. Anyway to prevent further bacterial infection, you may need to apply topical antibiotics. Being said that, it is always wise to consult a dermatologist in person so he/she can direct exam the lesion and suggest accordingly.