PDA

View Full Version : Need serious advice on a long time frustration

Randomaccount
04-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Please help me if you can. I've got some skin on my lips which just doesn't seem to heal. Not sure exactly how to describe it - it's red/sore/raw - it's easily visible that the outer layers of skin doesn't exist in these areas. The big problem however is that the skin is between a fold(s), that is it is not exposed unless I hold it 'open' (meaning I stretch my lips) and so when not exposed (as it is most of the time) it doesn't heal and really stings.

It has been this way for an extremely long time and I have tried far too many products without any success. I've tried Chapstick, Vaseline, aquaphor, diprobase, aloe Vera, vit e and glycerin, blistex, savlon, daktarin, hydrocortisone, salt water, vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, neosporin - and more that I cannot remember right now. It is in a highly visible area and badly affects my confidence/self esteem as I notice people staring (the whole lip area turns red when dry and looks pretty nasty, and without a full layer of skin turns dry pretty quickly). It's causing me massive problems in my daily life and I've withdrawn to spend as much time as I can at home. I've given up my friends, my job, any sort of 'life'. I've been so depressed for about a year now, trying all sorts of things to heal it and yet hardly any change. It's not as though I'm too bothered about how I look, but I don't want the negativeness that comes with this and it hurts emotionally when someone looks at it they way they do. It may sounds like its a really minor thing, and it is, but to me that seems to make it much worse. It's become an obsession, and I will only stop obsessing once it has healed. Doesn't even have to be a perfect heal, just adequate is fine, as long as it is better than now.

I guess what I'm asking for is any advice on products or what to do so I can get this damn thing to heal!!
I'm stuck and need help. Please someone... Anyone help.

Dr.Saiyan
04-15-2013, 03:26 AM
Hi there! Welcome to forum, yes I can understand how you must be feeling, but you didn't mention did you see the dermatologist. We would also like see a good picture of the lesion before suggesting you anything.

Dr.Deepak
04-15-2013, 03:46 AM
Welcome to the forum .., sorry to hear about that.Ok lets try get this damn thing out of your life. As Saiyan said posting a clear picture would give justice to your case. Not quite sure if you are talking about angular cheilitis, but picture would explain. Finding the cause is more important than treating it.

We'll try to find some solution together don't be depressed, there are million people living a happy life that are physically disabled or never had chance to eat full mean. Thank god we have that.

Randomaccount
04-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Thank out for your replies. Yes I have seen a dermatologist twice - prescribed Daktarin (Miconazole) and then Hydrocortisone. Haven't been again due to costs. I don't have a camera/camera phone so I cannot take a photo right now, but I will try and borrow a camera.

It is not angular chelitis. An allergic reaction to medication caused swelling and peeling of the skin on and around my lips. That is the layers of skin were literally missing and my lips were very raw and swollen. Whilst some has healed (where skin is always exposed), the skin which is somewhat hidden by the folds of my lips has not. By healed I mean return to a state where the outer layer of skin is present. But even so the outer layer on the exposed parts of skin hasn't healed fully because without the unexposed parts healing, the outer layers form and then peel because it doesn't form as one continuous layer. (What I mean is that the unexposed parts are in between the exposed parts like 1-1-1-1-1-1 where 1 represents exposed, and these parts fold up and touch so the - parts aren't exposed). So without the unexposed parts healing the entire lip region looks somewhat raw and unhealed.

So this was the cause, but the treatment now is the important thing. I can't help but be depressed, it has looked horrible for over a year and being a shy person who is easily emabarressed I can't take face to face interactions with people without feeling extremely self conscious, to the point where I felt sick. So I could not live my life normally as I used to, making me extremely depressed.

Dr.Deepak
04-18-2013, 09:36 PM
So you think it was allergic reaction to medications, anyway these usually resolves after discontinuing the medication. If hydrocortisone is not working higher strength steroids like mometasone might be useful along with heavy moisturizing with Vaseline. Lesion that doesn't resolves for long time may also be associated with systemic diseases that suppress the immune system like Diabetes and some other chronic diseases. Non-healing lesion on the lips may also be lip cancer. As already mentioned if u could post a pic, it would be better.

Dr.Saiyan
04-20-2013, 04:38 AM
Yes, I do agree with Deepak, for symptomatic relief you can use cream mixed with mometasone and petroleum jelly twice daily. During out in sun you can also apply good sunscreen, as well as try to rule out systemic diseases like diabetes. It would be better if you can post a pic.