PDA

View Full Version : Facial dermatitis and acne combined problem

MaRinA
04-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Hi,

this may seem odd, since dermatitis is known by dry and scaly skin, while acne are typical for oily skin, but for a year now, I have reoccurring problem of combination of facial acne and dermatitis, or periods of facial dermatitis followed by acne. I am 26 years old, and I have diagnosed neurodermatitis since I was two years old. Some years I had no outbreaks of dermatitis at all, and some years very bad rashes, typically on the inner side of the elbow bends, and knee bends, sometimes on the fingers. Couple of years ago, it all stopped until last year. Last year, I graduated from college and got a job, and then, dermatitis appeared on my face. I had an acne or two when I was a teenager, and typically I had a bit oily skin, but no serious problems, I had a clear and clean face. But, since dermatitis moved to the face, acne started appearing all over my face and usually number of them at the same time, after stressful period on the job. Dermatitis usually occurs below eyebrows and on the cheeks while acne appear on the cheeks and on the chin. I cannot describe to you what a shock it was to me, since I went through my teenage years with no acne problem, and now, I am an adult with significant acne problem. Even worse problem is that I cannot treat acne nor dermatitis properly. Acne creams and lotions dry out the skin which amplifies dermatitis problems, while dermatitis creams usually have an oily basis and make my acne worse. I cannot wear a make up since it makes both problems worse, but I have to cover the redness somehow since I look like a red-face monster if I don't do it. I tried Synchroline products, and gel against acne works well for me, but cremes against redness as well as acne just don't work for me - making one or another condition worse. The only thing that helps for now is Aloe vera deep hydrogenation treatment, but it is a 7 day program which should not be repeated too often (that's what is written on the product), so after week or two, or couple of months if it is not such a stressful period, my condition repeats. Usually dermatitis starts and acne follow or both appear at the time of extreme stress.

I would be thrilled if someone would have some practical advice for me, especially considering product which could help me. I am thinking of trying out relatively new Vichy creme for the hydrogenation of the problematic skin, but don't know if that would solve my problems, so I would like to hear if somebody has positive or a negative experience. Also, I would like some recommendation about good make up for skin with both dermatitis and acne problems. And most of all, I would like to hear an advice from an expert dermatologist.

Thank you.

Dr.Saiyan
04-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Hi marina! First welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your condition, but you do not need to be so depressed, as every problem has a solution and it just takes time to recognize it for solving it. From your brief history it seems like you had history of atopic dermatitis since the childhood,which seems to get better with adulthood. But you started having another problem called rosacea on your face as you described your face as red monster but anyway a good photograph could do justice. thus it would be easier for us to suggest you if you could post some pictures.

kevinkrieger
01-29-2014, 06:04 AM
You should see your dermatologist who may have suggestions about the use of moisturizers, sunscreens and recommend a specific corticosteroid cream.