PDA

View Full Version : Help..Weird rash on knee cap

Slowtroll
02-13-2013, 06:16 AM
2248Got a weird red itchy spot on knee last week. Didn't think anything of it since I'm allergic to many things that regularly give me hives. Yesterday I noticed it had gotten bigger and kind of resembles ringworm from pictures I've seen. I ALWAYS wear pants though. There's no possibility of anything touching my knee cap or anywhere on my leg really. So if it is ringworm, how could I have possibly gotten it on my knee cap? Is it even ringworm? I can't go to a doctor since I don't have insurance. Help?

Dr.Deepak
02-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Welcome to the forum Andrea, Doesn't look like ringworm to me. Anyway.. few questions..
Beside itch? any other sensation? pain or burning?
Any other area involvement beside knee?
Are?were you on any medications recently?
Do u often wear khaki clothing... what pants do u normally wear? any new changes?

Slowtroll
02-16-2013, 03:39 AM
Welcome to the forum Andrea, Doesn't look like ringworm to me. Anyway.. few questions..
Beside itch? any other sensation? pain or burning?
Any other area involvement beside knee?
Are?were you on any medications recently?
Do u often wear khaki clothing... what pants do u normally wear? any new changes?

Nothing else other than the itch. All I ever wear are cotton/polyester scrubs (I work at a veterinary clinic) and workout leggings and pants (I'm training after work to run a marathon). Recently the itch has decreased a bit, and now it's even more obviously shaped like the letter "C". So strange. I've been applying Miconazole I got from work just in case it was ringworm but it doesn't seem to do anything except slightly decrease the itch.

Slowtroll
02-16-2013, 03:41 AM
Oh, and the knee is the one and only spot this is happening. I'm not on any meds, except the topical miconazole I started applying just in case of ringworm. No other changes, except I got a new puppy that sleeps in my bed with me, but I had her checked out too just in case but there's nothing from that end that could have caused this.

Dr.Deepak
02-18-2013, 04:17 AM
Thanks for your reply, this looks like some type of pigmented purpuric dermatoses (capillaritis), where leakage of red blood cells (RBC) into the skin and localized deposition of hemosiderin occurs. This usually fades over time. If it doesn't, please consult a doctor to rule-out any other possibilities and treat accordingly.

Slowtroll
02-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Thank you so much for the help! Started to look better already, as of this morning it's looking more like a bruise and itching decreased as well. Thanks again!

Dr.Deepak
02-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the updates...yup it'll fade away on its own..if it doesn't or if there is increase in rash and itching do let's us know or if possible contact doctor near you...do update on your condition....