PDA

View Full Version : Dark Skin and Skin Cancer

BP1
02-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Can dark skinned individuals get skin cancer? I heard that they are less likely to get caner. What is the reason behing it?

Dr.Deepak
02-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Yea sure, they can get skin cancer, but risk are much lower than whites.Dark skinned individuals have more melanin in their skin which acts as a buffer by absorbing ultraviolet radiation, thus reducing the chances of chronic skin burn and sun damage. It is said that melanin can provides a natural skin protection factor (SPF) of more than 13 in dark-skinned individuals and can filter twice as much UV radiation as white skin, that has far less melanin.

Being said that, there are several other factors than just UV rays that can cause cancer like genetics and some other environmental factors. Unlike whites, black individuals when diagnosed with skin cancer may be even deadlier because it often be ignored or hidden within the dark skin. So don't go for the fact that dark skinned individuals have less chances of skin cancer (which is true), always lookout for hidden moles and watch-out for any changes in shape,size,color and so so..

bharatbookburea
02-20-2013, 04:28 AM
Yea sure, they can get skin cancer, but risk are much lower than whites.Dark skinned individuals have more melanin in their skin which acts as a buffer by absorbing ultraviolet radiation, thus reducing the chances of chronic skin burn and sun damage. It is said that melanin can provides a natural skin protection factor (SPF) of more than 13 in dark-skinned individuals and can filter twice as much UV radiation as white skin, that has far less melanin.

Being said that, there are several other factors than just UV rays that can cause cancer like genetics and some other environmental factors. Unlike whites, black individuals when diagnosed with skin cancer may be even deadlier because it often be ignored or hidden within the dark skin. So don't go for the fact that dark skinned individuals have less chances of skin cancer (which is true), always lookout for hidden moles and watch-out for any changes in shape,size,color and so so..
Well this very precious information, means dark colored people have advantage against skin cancer naturally. Thanks for starting this thread

joshturner
03-20-2013, 11:02 AM
this is the good information to prevent from dark skin spots....

Melissa Mellie
04-08-2013, 09:57 AM
I've not much idea but I think these are (dark skinned individuals) not causes of skin cancer.

Allendawson
10-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Skin cancer is caused by excessive sun damage. Black color is a good skin color but it does not mean that they do not have skin cancer. There are chances of skin cancer in black skin too.

Julie Lara
06-22-2015, 12:36 PM

Its my first read regarding dark skin and skin cancer. I was unaware about the fact you provided here. I'll be in your touch..LOL!

http://www.usmedicinecare.com/