PDA

View Full Version : New under arm breakout. What is this?!?

Fisher
12-27-2012, 10:02 PM
I noticed a new rash in my armpit region two days ago. It is slightly raised, but does not itch or cause pain. I workout several times a week. I have not introduced any new products (deodorant, lotion, soap, etc.). It's on both arms and I don't believe it's razor burn because it is not in the region that I shave. Any guesses as to what it may be?

Dr.Deepak
12-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Welcome to the forum Michelle, few questions..
Are you on any medications?
When was this pic taken..( time after eruption of rash)
Any other associated symptoms? cold, flu, fever etc..
How often do you shave? Razor (name) or machine? or...
Do u sweat a lot.. how about underarm sweating?... normally and during workouts..
Please answers to the questions, we'll try to find it out..

Dr.Saiyan
12-28-2012, 09:46 AM
The lesion looks like erythematous wheels, which resembles urticarial vasculitis, viewing the picture and from your short history. Like Deepak said, I would also like to ask if you are on any medication? Did you wear any new clothes especially after shaving or clothes kept in cupboard for long time. Do you have any systemic disease and associated symptoms? Usually the cause is very difficult to find. Avoiding the trigger may help resolve the lesions slowly ,sometimes leaving behind temporary hyperpigmentation. Try not to shave for sometime as well as avoid using deodorant , keep the area clean and dry using mild soap,also as far as possible avoid using dark colour clothes.

Fisher
12-31-2012, 04:49 PM
I was on quite a few medications (Bactrim,cephalexin and Amoxicillin) all during a three-week period for bugs that seemed to hit my house. The picture was taken about 3 days after I noticed it. I haven't had symptoms associated with the rash and it is not warm to the touch. It does not cause me any discomfort, except visually. I shave about every other day with either a disposable Venus or Bic usually and do not use any one razor for a long period of time. I do sweat a lot when I work out (non issue during regular activities) and typically try to wear a tank. But, since I sweat and workout often, my clothes are always freshly laundered with a "free and clear" detergent and no fabric softener. Luckily, no issues with systemic diseases.

I appreciate the responses!

Dr.Saiyan
01-02-2013, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the patient reply Michelle.The medication bactrim and amoxicillin are the most common causes of hives and rashes. As rashes appeared within three weeks peroid of drug administration so possibly they might have contributed to the occurrence of your rash. Stopping the medication can slowly help in the resolution of the rash. If the the rashes are mild like in your case you can continue the drug Cautiously under supervision of your doctor.So you do not need to worry after you discontinue these drugs rashes will disappear gradually over time which may take few weeks until the drug is fully metabolized from your body. If they do not subside you can consult the dermatologist. Hope you keep updating ,we will love to hear from you.