PDA

View Full Version : DEPRESSING BAD SKIN REACTION (w/ pics)

misski
12-27-2012, 01:55 AM
I seriously was close to tears when I realized what I have done to myself. Now I am humored by this because in retrospect, I don't even know what I was thinking doing what I did. The reason why I am so depressed but also humored is because nothing about my skin is ever right and an attempt to treat it made it even worse!

Here's what happened:

I've known about retin-a for a while now. I kept reading that it is wonderful for the skin and that apparently everyone should use it. I am going to turn 19, about to transfer to another university, and I never really took care of myself so I thought perhaps I should start doing so.

I have very, very (very) mild hidradenitis suppurativa, which is currently in remission, and also a few zits and scars here and there on my face. I also have keratosis pilaris. I thought retin-a micro would be perfect for me so I applied it all over my body:

Arms, legs, back, front, face, underarms, hands, check, neck, butt cheeks... and "down there". Everywhere. Please don't tell me how foolish I am because I already know.

All the sensitive areas are badly affected:

My neck, the crooks of my arms, "down there" (including the inner butt cheeks for some reason, I guess from wiping front to back), some on my abdominal area, some areas on my back, under my breast, underarms, chest and neck area PEELED and broke out a little bit. The peeled area became inflamed and RED. Now it's just permanently discolored. It's just a patch of brownish skin like the pictures below:

http://i47.tinypic.com/9lilj4.jpghttp://i50.tinypic.com/qspml5.jpghttp://i47.tinypic.com/2582m8m.jpg

(From left to right, that's the crook of my left arm, my chest area and finally my abdominal area)

When I rub the crooks of arms and my underarms, flakes of skin rubs off.

I began using retin-a micro 0.1% on October 31 and I stopped on the December 4. I noticed discoloration for a long time, maybe even a week after using retin-a micro, but I assumed it was a normal skin reaction from retin-a micro. When I noticed that it wasn't fading away or it was no longer peeling, I stopped immediately.

I guess this is called reactive hyperpigmentation. I never consulted a dermatologist before and I always have bad experiences with doctors.

My biggest concern is obviously my sensitive areas (inner butt cheeks and "down there"). I obviously don't feel like showing this to a dermatologist. My inner butt cheeks aren't that bad, but you can see a sharp line where the discoloration starts. It just looks odd. Again, this is from wiping front to back.

I apologize for my verbose post. I just want to be detailed as much as possible. I am LOLing but also crying inside at how stupid I am.

What is your advice on how to treat this? Do you think hydrocortisone might help (although the area doesn't look inflamed anymore, it's just brown patches)? I'm afraid that this might be a lost cause and nothing will help this.

pepsimax
12-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Hello Jenny and welcome to Dermatalk. I'm just sorry it wasn't a nicer reason that brought you to us.
Hopefully you wont get lectured on what you have done as you already understand your mistake.
I think our regular doctors are on limited internet access due to the holidays so please be patient with them.

In the mean time I would suggest using an aloe vera gel which contains a minimum 50% or more of pure aloe gel. Also ensure than the areas don't dry out by using something pure like shea butter, vitamin e oil, jojoba oil, emu oil or something similar that is natural and contains the vitamins your skin needs. I've suggested a few as we all have our favourites but there are others if you cannot get these. Please try and get them in natural form and not commercial products which generally contain ingredients which dry out your skin.

If you are in a sunny area you must wear sunscreen on exposed areas at all times while outside.

This isn't a cure but will help while you wait for our regular staff to return. Any questions you may have don't hesitate to ask.

Dr.Saiyan
12-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Hi Jenny! For Sure, you should have consulted doctor before applying the cream in such a high concentration to your sensitive areas and body folds, which must have been also specified as contraindicated in medicine leaflets. The medicine increases the skin turnover time which makes skin very sensitive to sunlight with tendency to burn and severe inflammation on exposure to sunlight without protection.Thus strict application of sunscreen with appropriate SPF is must.

The skin may become excessively red, edematous, blistering, Hyperpigmentation, irritation, sunburn may occurs as the adverse reaction of the drug. If such condition occurs the medication should be discontinued immediately. The damaged skin should be protected from further damage by sun by application of suitable sunscreen as Nikki mentioned it. As you mentioned your skin is not inflammed anymore, so suitable moisturizer as Nikki mentioned can be applied during night to maintain the barrier function of the skin and save from any infections. Avoid using harsh soaps that can over-dry your skin while talking shower and keep your skin moisturized and protected round the clock.

After some period of time your skin will regain its original color and nature by itself probably with the completion of skin natural turnover time that is around 47-52 days. So please be patient and just be careful not to cause further damage to your skin.
We will love to hear any updates or improvements from you.

misski
12-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Thank you so much for the kind responses! I will try to find a solution to this problem and I will keep you updated! Meanwhile, I'm going try aloe vera gel!