PDA

View Full Version : My throat hurts really badly, But I dont want to go to the doctors just yet..?

anniewallents
12-03-2012, 09:54 PM
What antibiotic can work to heal me? I have a very important thing to do on the weekend and i can't be sick.

pepsimax
12-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Firstly antibiotics are a prescription only medicine so you would need to see a doctor for them. But before you reach for the antibiotics think about alternative treatments. Antibiotics should only ever be used as a last resort as our bodies become immune to them and therefore they not only become less effective but new virus strains are created which current antibiotics cannot cure.

So a remedy for a sore throat. Mainly keep up your fluid intake preferably warm clear fluids. Hot vitamin c drinks with honey will also help. If you are in a cold climate keep your chest and neck area covered so warm, to prevent a further chill. Keep a drink by your bed at night and if your throat is dry just gently sip on water.
Hopefully whatever you have planned for the weekend will distract you from your sore throat.

Dr.Deepak
12-04-2012, 04:03 AM
How long have you had this? any other accompanying symptoms like fever, runny nose and so so.. If its due to viral, some home remedies might work wonder..

Gargle with warm salt water, it will help reduce the pain and swelling.
Make a hot lemon tea by adding honey and ginger in it and drink it, it will help subside the symptoms.

Sore throat is commonly caused by viral infection so taking antibiotics won't help at all..But if bacterial infection is suspected taking an antibiotics is helpful.

rubyJacksonn
12-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Gargle with sage tea or warm salty water (or mix them together). Can use thyme and/or cinnamon as well. Just put the dried herbs in a pot, and boiling water, let it stand for 10 minutes, then while still warm, but not too hot, gargle. Can add honey (preferably unpasteurised).

Take some extra zinc and vitamin C to boost your immunity. (The herb andrographis is wonderful for boosting immunity, but harder to get than the kitchen herbs mentioned above)

y34963
12-05-2012, 04:34 AM
Deepak is giving you excellent advice. Gargling with warm salt water really helps as well as honey tea. Doctors are finding many people are deficient in vit D so I would suggest you take a vitamin D supplement as well as vit C.

I hope you get well soon.

Blondie
12-05-2012, 07:05 AM
All of the above is great advise. I would like to add: Make yourself a tea using dried ginger and freshly ground dried cloves. It is very numbing and antimitotic. It's also settling on the stomach because of the ginger. Hope you get better before your event!

Dr.Know
12-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I've had the sore throat and so has my family, turned out to be viral. Amoxicillin had no apparent effect. Asprin works better than Tylenol or other nsaids for the sore throat. To answer your question, Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Keflex, and the like work well on strep infections of the throat.

anniewallents
12-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Hello, amoxicillin is a good medication for the cold.

Dr.Deepak
12-20-2012, 02:21 AM
Hello, amoxicillin is a good medication for the cold.
Hello, r u asking or suggesting?

clintoncerejo
12-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks Deepak you have given such an effective solution even my throat gets cured..