PDA

View Full Version : Spotty skin rash

Djtia
11-16-2012, 10:24 PM
2 years ago, I developed a few spots, then within a couple of weeks, I was covered in them - all up and down my legs, arms and torso. I saw a doctor who prescribed steroids and antihistamines, believing I had come into something I was allergic to. This helped and they went away.

But, they keep coming back. I've seen 3 other doctors who have basically said they don't know what it could be, and prescribed creams. I've tried to use them, but due to the amount of spots, and the fact the creams don't stop new ones from appearing, it hasn't done any good. The last doctor didn't think a trip to the dermatologist was worthwhile, as often a biopsy won't give a diagnosis, and it's a lot of expense for nothing.

The spots don't always itch, one will randomly itch, then settle down, then another one will itch. They seem to start out as raised blood blisters, then progress to a sore.

Health wise, I never get sick. Even if my house and workplace is full of sick people, I never catch it. I eat the same things all the time - I'm a creature of habit!

These spots never appear on my face or neck (thankfully, as they leave scars), it just seems to affect from the neck down. They don't appear to be contagious either. Right now, I have them all over my thighs, backside, tummy and arms. It happens all year round no matter the season.

I'm at my wits end,I'm not sure what to do or how to stop them. I'm wondering maybe whether I should see a dermatologist, or have allergy testing? Is anyone else in the same boat, and if so, did you get a diagnosis and effective treatment?

pepsimax
11-17-2012, 03:47 AM
Hello Tia sorry to hear of your issue. It would help our experienced doctors if you could post some pictures. Especially a couple of close up ones of the spots in various stages. This could help them point you in the right direction and advise you the best way to proceed.
You have covered most other points well but if you can remember any of the creams you have previously used this too would help.

Dr.Saiyan
11-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Hi Tia! Is it possible to post one good picture coz your description of the lesion is not very clear, is it more like a blood filled vesicles or hives??

Djtia
11-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Here is a picture of how they start - as a blood blister type spot which professes to a scab - this one is at the scabbing stage

Djtia
11-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Here is a close up

Djtia
11-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Scarring from previous spots

Djtia
11-22-2012, 10:18 PM

They aren't as bad this time around, but still annoying. The creams I can't remember the name of- antibiotic and possibly steroid, and one the doctor said would be enough to kill MRSA! I've also tried a Chinese medicine cream that had menthol and camphor in it.

Dr.Saiyan
11-24-2012, 04:48 AM
Thanks for your update Tia.. I need to ask few questions before we come to some conclusion..
How old are you?
do these lesion initially starts with blisters or they starts with papułes then later turns into blisters then crust and scarring...?
do ÿou have any lesion on the mouth?
Are you on any medication recently or arouñd the time you took this pics...especially steroids...
The actual morphology of these lesion could have been manipulated by medications. Do you have any latest pics which shows blood blisters or initial eruption of the lesion.
do you have any systemic symptoms like fever, joint pain, or any other u have experienced.
Are there any larger blisters, what is the size of largest of blisters that has occurred so far.

OK, finally there are many vesicular-bullus disease that resembles like your condition..so excluding one by one one necessary, please answer all those questions...

Djtia
11-26-2012, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the reply. The spots generally start out looking like a blood blister - although they're not. Some start out like little red pimples. They never get bigger than what's been pictured. They crust into a sore over time, and then leave a scar. I've never had any mouth lesions, and I'm not on any medication - the only thing I take - on occasion - is paracetamol or ibuprofen for headaches, I don't get these often though. I don't take any herbal medications either. I don't have any other symptoms - no joint or muscle pain. I never get sick - not even a cold, even if everyone else around me is sick. Another point is, for a few years I'd feel itchy all over, and I'd scratch until I bruised. This has settled - my Dad has complained of the same thing. I am 30 years old. The current spots are starting to go away, but I know they will be back.
Another note- not sure if it's relevant, but I drink 1 energy drink every day. The first time the spots occurred, was after changing from one brand to another. I'm now drinking the original one I have been (for approx 4 years).

Dr.Saiyan
11-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Hi Tia! As I cannot see actual blister or papule like lesion as you desccribed I cannot specify the type, but according to what you have described the condition seems like mild form of pityriasis lichenoids et varioliformis acuta(PLEVA) which is one form of pityriasis lichenoids. The cause of the the disease is unclear with some authors assuming it as self limited self healing lymphoproliferative disease and may last from few weeks to, waxing and waning processs continuing for several years. Histopathological diagnosis is confirmatory in this disease, so I would suggest you to see a dermatologist undergo biopsy and other tests like ASO titer, EBV antigen and antibody etc. After confirming the diagnosis your dermatologist may prescribe you antibiotics (tetracycline),light therapy (PUVA), Retinoids or antimetabolite therapy accordingly.
Hope you keep up us updating.