PDA

View Full Version : hypo-pigmentation spots - help? (picture)

jen123
10-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Hello everyone - this summer I went to the beach and of course was in the sun way more than I should have been without proper protection and reapplication. Soon after I got home and even months later my back and a portion of my upper arms/shoulders have these white spots all over them. They are quite unsightly and I was wondering what they are and if it's anything I need to worry about. They don't seem to be fading and may have even multiplied after they first appeared, but definitely aren't continuing to do so. I didn't get burnt and peel, either. Any ideas?

Dr.Deepak
10-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Hi Jen welcome to DermaTalk community. Your condition is quite common during summer months. It's a pityriasis versicolor, a superficial yeast infection. Yeast produce some chemical that bleach the skin and also prevent the skin from getting tan, as a result the area gets hypo pigmented than surrounding area.

There is nothing to worry about, generally some anti fungal preparation shampoo and cream will work. Some common OTC brands are Nizoral (ketoconazole) cream and shampoo, Selsun shampoo, Terbinafine,clotrimazole, miconazole cream.

you may apply these anti-fungal shampoo on daily basis (leave for 10 mins and wash off) for two weeks, than on alternate days for a month than every week for few months to avoid recurrence. In addition apply anti-fungal creams on daily basis for around 2 weeks. For better result you may apply shampoo as a lotion and leave overnight, wash off in the morning and apply anti-fulgal cream.

If you don't see any result within 2 weeks, oral anti fungal medication may be prescribed. Please visit your dermatologist, so it gets treated effectively.

Do update on your condition and feel free to ask anything.....