PDA

View Full Version : Skin problem from chewing gum

kellyk
10-08-2012, 04:18 PM
This is an odd scenario but here it goes.
About six months ago while i was at work, a fellow employee thought it would be funny to stick a piece of chewed gum on my forehead while I was at my computer. It was gross but I laughed it off. Since then I've had a little dry skin patch where the gum was stuck and some redness. No major drying or cracking, its just enough to irritate me. Just this morning I had dry skin flaking off with a little redness under it. Does anyone have an idea of what chemical in the gum may cause this or have heard of this problem. It worry's me a little because its been six months. Its not fun, so hopefully there's a simple solution.
Thanks

Dr.Deepak
10-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Never heard of this.. Could u post a pic? Looks like Allergic contact dermatitis due to the essential oils used in chewing gums. Low potency steroids cream ( which can also be bought over the counter) might help reduce the lesion. Avoid chewing gums if u are still taking it..This is just a diagnosis based on ur above post, actual diagnosis may vary when seen personally or with a pic attached.. please if u can attached a pic.

Blondie
10-09-2012, 03:46 AM
Deepak beat me to the punch on this one. If the usual methods don't work, see a derm or doc.

And on a related note....your coworker is incredibly immature! I can understand friends doing silly little things like that to each other, but at WORK while you're all on the clock?!

pepsimax
10-09-2012, 05:10 AM
Chewing gum is possibly the most toxic product available and exactly what goes into it is unknown as the ingredients are listed as gum base, but will most probably be controlled, industrial or even banned substances.

starngeboy
10-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Hello, Can you out a pic of you? We need to see what is the problem with your skin. Did you go to the doctor already?

hilldon
10-26-2012, 09:40 PM
I never though gum could do this :confused: this is rare but you should go to the doctor better