PDA

View Full Version : Old make-up.

aliva
07-24-2008, 08:49 PM
I like to buy new make-up items and find that old stuff is never thrown out. How do I know when I must throw out my old make-up and is there any way to recycle the products?

chicque
07-25-2008, 03:16 AM
most cosmetics should be thrown out after six months of opening them. there are two reasons for this: because of the bacteria on them, and because most makeup with water in them will have already dried out.

alice
10-28-2008, 01:59 PM
If your cosmetics have started to crack or chop, its time to throw them dear. I am not sure about ways of recycling them, but to keep them for longer time, you should keep them closed and away from direct sunlight or extremes of temperatures. This increases their shelf-life for sure.:)

mimico
10-29-2008, 05:48 AM
I throw out my old face powders after a few months of not using it. I like buying new make up as well, but I don't open it until I throw out the old one first. I keep lip glosses for a year or two though. The Body Shop stuff keeps for three years according to their sales representatives. :)

jeni_fini
11-17-2008, 11:22 PM
I have heard that MAC products will recycle and you may want to contact your recycling business or your local drug store to see if they recycle old makeup. As far as when to throw old makeup out, 6 months is what I have been told and is very true especially with mascara.

Kay
12-24-2008, 05:35 AM
I try have a good clearout every six to eight months or so. All those bargains don't really stay bargains for long if you need to toss them, so be selective. It's better to go for one good product than three cheap ones. The higher quality ones tend to have more staying power.

beatrix_kiddo
01-11-2009, 08:47 PM
I usually buy the best brands even though they are a little expensive. My problem is that i dont use makeup that often and even after a year of opening the product is barely used i dont feel like throwing it awa.

skinlover
03-12-2012, 06:24 PM
yes! definitely throw out old make-up! you wouldn't put bad food in your mouth, so don't put old products on your skin! you're asking for infections this way.
note down in your diary when you buy the products so you can keep track of how long you've had them.
once something has been exposed to the air or touched your skin, it will collect germs.
there is a symbol on the back of almost every created product, it looks like a tiny pot with it's lid slightly ajar, it will have a number next to it: 6M for e.g. which means you have to throw it by at least 6 months.

L.
x

pepsimax
03-16-2012, 07:27 AM
there is a symbol on the back of almost every created product, it looks like a tiny pot with it's lid slightly ajar, it will have a number next to it: 6M for e.g. which means you have to throw it by at least 6 months.

L.
x

I always wondered what the jar and number stood for. Thanks. :love:

Most of my make up has a 1 year life and I always make sure I keep them in a cool dark place.

skinlover
03-20-2012, 04:27 PM
It's o.k! hope more people learn this too. :)
x

kimclara
07-26-2012, 07:17 PM
how long can you keep compact powder for before you must throw it out?

pepsimax
07-27-2012, 03:27 AM
Usually longer that cream foundations. Check the item and look for a jar/pot with a number. Usually indicated in months. I would guess at 24 months average.

skinlover
07-27-2012, 11:17 AM
This prompted me to look at my good and trusty Rimmel compact powder - 30 months that says! wow, not that it lasts that long but still good to know