PDA

View Full Version : Looking for second opinions on this "rash" (pics)

Dystophia
08-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Hey guys, I have this "rash" thing on my side. It's been here for months and months and months and I can't afford to go to the doctor just yet, so I was wondering if it looks like something that NEEDS to be seen by a doctor immediately. I've gotten some opinions from other people and they say it looks like ringworm, but it doesn't have a ring around it. It itches of course. My main concern is that it's some sort of cancer, but I'm really hoping that I'm being a hypochondriac about it. Well, here's the pictures:

Thank you guys for your time.

pepsimax
08-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Hello and sorry to hear you've got a problem rash. Although I am not an expert I wouldn't worry about cancer although it may be something that should be treated.
Here are a few questions which if you can answer may help someone to advise you.
Did your circumstances change prior to getting the rash? Change of home, job, etc.
Is the rash/itch worse at certain times? Morning/evening. Before/after shower, exercise, wearing tight clothes, that sort of thing?
Has it stayed the same or got worse or at times better since you first had it?
That's all I can think of for now and hopefully someone will be along soon to help you.
Above all don't worry unduly. Stress and worry will only add to some conditions so could make it worse.

Dystophia
08-29-2012, 04:24 AM
Thanks! I can't notice it getting more itchy at certain specific times, though it does itch on and off seemingly at random. It's been about the same size for about six months now and hasn't gotten worse or better. No change of home or jobs prior to the rash or any events I can think of.

pepsimax
08-30-2012, 05:39 AM
From what I can see of the picture it doesn't look like ringworm and that is highly contagious so no doubt would have spread if it was that. It looks very similar to contact eczema, maybe from a belt or something like that.
There are people here who I believe can offer you some better advice although they wont give you a full diagnosis they may be able to recommend treatments you can try. Be patient for a couple of days as they are professionals they may be busy.

Dr.Saiyan
08-30-2012, 08:53 AM
I do agree with Nikki if it was tinea corporis it could have spread by now,so my first impression is also nummular eczema but looking at the lesion we cannot completely exclude tinea infection,so possibly we may also need undergo simple fungal testing.

Dr.Deepak
08-30-2012, 09:15 AM
As suggested above, it does look like Discoid (nummular) eczema to me. Doesn't look like any life-threatening disease, but being said that, its hard to diagnose just by looking at the pic, so personal visit with a dermatologist is a must.
Discoid eczema is often hard to treat and may persist for weeks and months.. I'm not sure if its available over the counter, but applying tacrolimus ointment might help. If not, low steroid ointment may be beneficial. Make sure the area is clean and well hydrated, avoid irritation and friction. If possible visit dermatologist...

Have you tried any treatment...?

Dystophia
08-31-2012, 04:21 AM
I've used three different creams on it. The first I used was regular hydrocortisone, the second was Tinacin (brand name) and the third, that I'm using now, is a clotrimazole. The last two are mainly used to treat athlete's foot and tinea stuff, as you guys probably know. Neither of them have shown any improvement so that supports the theories that it's not tinea. I'll definitely go in and see a doctor when I can about it. Thanks for putting my mind at ease about it not being life-threatening. :D

It's like RIGHT on the line where my boxer-band is, so maybe that has something to do with it as well?

pepsimax
09-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Some good advice given to you. I guess its time to see your doc as a mild steroid cream is possibly needed. Let us know how you get on.