PDA

View Full Version : Any precautions for psoriasis during the winter?

Bono
06-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Can anyone care to share what precautions should i take during winter,i'm a psoriasis patients.do i have to change any medications or any special care during winter?

Dr.Deepak
06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Winter days are very hard for psoriasis patients.first the sun exposure is less thus providing less UVB (ultra-violet light B )which is essential for psoriasis treatment and secondly the winter is drier, making it more difficult to maintain moisture in your skin.So It’s important to increase your use of moisturizing creams and ointments during the winter, applying heavy layers, especially over the skin affected by psoriasis. It is helpful to apply the moisturizing cream while your skin is damp. Also, be sure to pat yourself dry after bathing—don’t rub yourself with the towel.and before you go for a bath be sure that temperature of water is moderate, hot water might irritate your psoriasis symptoms more.

During the winter months, the humidity is generally lower, especially in homes with forced air heating. This tends to cause dry, itchy skin. Scratching affected skin will worsen your psoriasis and can even cause new lesions to form. Thus, it is important not to scratch, pick, or scrub psoriasis lesions.

alice
06-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I agree with 010081 here, in winters you should try to keep the moisture of your body intact. Taking hot baths with lukewarm water and applying certain body lotion immediately after taking bath can help you a lot, as your skin won't be left dry.

I would also suggest you to consult your doctor for some special winter lotions for psoriasis that will be helping you in the long run.

beefire9
11-08-2008, 04:16 AM
Damn winter has come again,anyway here is some tips that i forund :
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/psoriasis-8/winter

jeni_fini
11-18-2008, 11:20 AM
I agree with 010081. If you have humidity problems in your home, it may be a good idea to invest in a small humidifier to keep your home from drying out from the heat that radiates from your central air unit or furnace.

Also avoid hot baths.. Make sure your baths are at a warm or moderate temp.

nlp18
12-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Yeah..! I agree with 010081. But avoid hot baths in all seasons, take some skin care creams by consulting a dermatologist it may help you during winter season.