PDA

View Full Version : Trying to identify a new rash. Please help.

rashy
08-06-2012, 02:02 AM
Hello.

I have posted two pictures of an incredibly itchy rash that popped up on my hip a few days ago. Its not very big and I'm not too worried about it, but I was just curious if somebody might be able to identify it so I know what kind of cream to buy. Thanks!

-Rashy 514515

skinquestions
08-06-2012, 04:56 AM
Hi matthew. Im just another person on the forum but in looking at this, im wondering if it has spread at all? Did they start off like the bumps? Were they always red? Have the bumps grown at all?

rashy
08-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Hi matthew. Im just another person on the forum but in looking at this, im wondering if it has spread at all? Did they start off like the bumps? Were they always red? Have the bumps grown at all?

It started off without color. I think the redness it most likely due to me scratching. It has spread slightly since the first day it showed up, but only around the originating area. I don't have it anywhere else on my body.

Dr.Deepak
08-06-2012, 07:06 PM
It looks like papular urticaria, (a hypersensitivity reaction to insect bites). Don't scratch, else, it may heal with permanent scar. It its very itchy u may apply topical steroids cream or take anti-itch medication orally. How, where and when did it started ? try to remember and avoid such places or environment. Sometimes Herpes zoster also mimic such rash but is usually associated with burning pain rather than itching...

rashy
08-07-2012, 01:45 PM
It looks like papular urticaria, (a hypersensitivity reaction to insect bites). Don't scratch, else, it may heal with permanent scar. It its very itchy u may apply topical steroids cream or take anti-itch medication orally. How, where and when did it started ? try to remember and avoid such places or environment. Sometimes Herpes zoster also mimic such rash but is usually associated with burning pain rather than itching...

Thanks so much for your help Deepak. I was out ****king two weekends ago in upstate New York and there was definitely a lot of bugs out. I think it is a definite possibility that it is papular urticaria. The rash started about a week after the trip.

However, I think it's also worth noting that I am just getting over a mild case of ring worm. The ringworm rash started about 3 weeks ago, but disappeared soon after I began treating it with some medicated cream. What's strange is that the ringworm rash was on my lower stomach, whereas this rash is on my hip. What I'm curious to find out is if the two rash's are related. They don't really look the same, but I read somewhere that when you get ringworm, other rashes may break out on the body as an allergic reaction to the fungus. Does anybody have any insight on this?

Either way, the rash on my hip has stopped itching and spreading for the most part but still very visible. I figure I will wait another week or so to see if it clears up, and if not, take a trip to the dermatologist. I have very sensitive skin and am frequently breaking out in weird rashes that usually seem to take care of themselves in time.