PDA

View Full Version : Swollen thumbs and Inflamed skin

jono14
06-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Hi,

I have been having a problem recently where my skin becomes really itchy and inflamed, it starts of small and looks like little bites but then it spreads, the inflamed areas then gets bigger going from looking like small bites to large areas of itchy inflamed skin. Then a couple of days ago when it started again but this time both of my thumbs started to itch and get inflamed aswell to the point where i cant move them. It seems to react to me touching it when they look like little bits, when i get it on my forearms it always seems to be on the veins and when i touch it there is a shooting pain down the veins.

Any information on this would be extremely helpful, local GP's arent the best
Thank you

Dr.Deepak
06-07-2012, 11:26 AM
A pic would be better to help members suggest you more. Anyway it looks like local allergic reaction to something or allergic contact dermatitis. You may need patch testing to see what chemical is causing it (nickel, dyes, preservatives, fragrances or any other your thumb may come in contact with). Does it come and go? when it come make sure what are the things you did that day, anything you came in contact with, this way it will be easier to find out what is causing u allergy.

Your both condition including the shooting pain u described may be related to your work..what you do? do you have this on your legs, toes or any other parts ? There are other possible cause too like thumb sucking habits (usually child) and nail biting or fungal infection. Visiting your dermatologist would be a better option.

Dr.Saiyan
06-07-2012, 03:47 PM
I agree with Deepak a good picture may be more helpful for diagnosis. I also wanted to know if you have any ulceration on top of the lesion. Besides arms do you have it in other parts of body too and any others accompanying systemic symptoms if present.