PDA

View Full Version : Re-do acrylics every 3 months?

kathiny
06-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Hello everyone... first post!

I've been searching the internet for an answer to this question, and haven't found it, so I figured I'd go ahead and sign up and ask it here.

First, the back-story: I got acrylic nail forms for the first time about a year ago. I've gone back to the same salon every two weeks for fill-ins. Until recently, I have had very few breaks. Then I got a different nail tech about a month ago at the salon, and I had a nail break. I didn't think much of it since it happens once in a while (and I seemed about due for one, heh), but then for my next fill a couple weeks ago, I got the same tech, and the very next day, another nail broke! I went back to have it fixed, but the same nail and a second one broke about a week later. I looked at them closely, and noticed that the acrylic seemed thinner than it usually does, so I figured that was the problem. :rolleyes:

I went for a fill-in last night, and ended up with the same tech yet again. I pointed out the broken nails and said I thought the acrylic was a little thin, and that I hardly ever have breaks. The tech was very defensive and said that the breaks were my fault for not having the acrylic completely pulled off and re-done every three months.

Wait, what? First, no one told me I should have the acrylic re-done every 3 months when I first started getting it a year ago, just that I needed to come in every two weeks to have the new growth filled in. Second, my nails have completely grown out after TWO months. I tried to explain that to her, but she wouldn't have it. She charged me extra to pry off and re-do the acrylic on the two broken nails (with tips), and reluctantly agreed to put on the acrylic a bit thicker.

So the big question is: Is it true that acrylic needs to be completely removed and re-applied every three months?

pepsimax
06-02-2012, 05:37 PM
There is no right or wrong answer to this. Some say 6 months whereas others say sooner or later. Some say they don't need to be changed as with nail growth they grow out in a few months anyway.
Personally I would never have acrylics but if you want these I would suggest using another salon if they are not willing to listen to the customer. Its you nails and you deserve to make sure you are getting adequate treatment.

kevinkrieger
02-06-2014, 07:31 AM
Here is a same thread where you can get much information www.nailtips.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6993