PDA

View Full Version : Is this a sun rash?

nattticus
05-08-2012, 04:27 AM
Sorry for the long post but I want to give out as many info as possible to help you guys answer :)

I get this rash on the inside of my arm every summer for the past 3-5 years. After being in the sun for a few hours it starts to get itchy and I eventually lose self control and I scratch which is where the bumps come from.

I've ruled out a lot of skin conditions like eczema because once the weather starts to cool down it completely goes away from Sept-May. then in May as soon as the weather warms up and I come out of hibernation, it come's back!

I don't get it anywhere else on my body although I wear shorts and tank tops and other areas of my skin are exposed but maybe not as much as the area affected.

So far in my internet travels, I've been told it could be because I've gain a lot of weight and I could be more prone to the rashes because of this. I also thought because I used to live in a very humid climate, but I live in an area that is very dry now and I still get them. Last summer I found out it may be my birth control that was making me sensitive to the sun so I stopped taking them and it seemed to have improved however I am getting them again now despite not being on birth control.

I'm pretty positive it's either a heat rash or sun allergy or a mix of both, and that it's not caused from my birth control, unless my birth control has permanently changed the chemistry of my skin although not being on them anymore. I'm just wondering if there's any medication or cream you'd recommend that would make the itchy feeling go away as that would solve the red bump problem!

Anyway, any advice on how to get rid of it or treat it would help! I've tried a few over the counter creams and none have worked for longer than 20-40minutes. I need someone to make the itch go away so I won't scratch and get the rash.

Also. I don't get any other side effects, I don't get a fever or nausea or anything like that. I also tan very easy, I have rarely ever gotten a sunburn. I use sun screen whenever I go to the beach or out at the park for long periods of time but not if I'm just going for a walk for an hour or less.