PDA

View Full Version : Skin Rash In Armpit Region

KofiBlack
04-02-2012, 02:51 AM
I have had a skin rash near my armpit region for a while. It does not itch at all; however, there are blotches of darker skin. Im not sure what the condition is or how to treat it. For basic information, I'm 17 and I play a lot of basketball and so I sweat a lot and I think that may be part of the cause. I also shower very often.

I also have a picture of my arm.

Dr.Deepak
04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Sorry for late reply..i would like to ask you some more details..

Since when you are having this? ( Time Period)
Is it just on one side or both armpits?
Do you use deodorants,perfumes often ? if yes what brand ?
Does your armpit gets infected often?
DO you have this on any other part of body besides armpit?

Please answer those questions, so we could suggest you better diagnosis and management..

Thanks

KofiBlack
04-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Since when you are having this? ( Time Period)
I've had this for a few months now.
Is it just on one side or both armpits?
Its on both sides.
Do you use deodorants,perfumes often ? if yes what brand ?
I do use deodorant. I use Secret (Clinical Strength)
Does your armpit gets infected often?
Nope, this is the first time.
DO you have this on any other part of body besides armpit?
I think I may also have it on the back of my neck (more recently developed). I used to think they were unrelated rashes but the look very similar.

Thanks.

Dr.Deepak
04-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Ok thanks. and again sorry for late response..quite busy these days..

I checked the ingredients on your deodorants. Looks like they doesn’t cause much irritation to your skin, so lets exclude Antiperspirant and Deodorant Allergy ( which is much common in people using deodorants), but still u can have a patch testing for better confirmation.

Coming back to topic, lesions at a glance looks like confluent and reticulated papillomatosis which is often rare disease that usually starts around 16-17 years…most of the cases are non itchy like yours and few may have mild itch. CRP is thought to be due to some disorder of keratinization, endocrine disturbance or due to an abnormal host reaction to Pityrosporum organisms ( which in your case is another probable diagnosis ; Tinea versicolor caused by Pityrosporum organisms)

I would suggest you to visit a dermatologist; he may perform a KOH test to rule out Tinea versicolor first, then biopsy may be needed in your case to rule out confluent and reticulated papillomatosis.

CRP is harmless but could lead to severe cosmetic disfigurement. So I would strictly suggest you to visit a dermatologist rather then trying to treat it by yourself which may further result in generalized eruption around your body. In either of the two cases antifungals might work sometimes but i would still suggest u to first confirm the diagnosis by visiting the dermatologist personally..