PDA

View Full Version : Pityriasis Rosea or Ringworm Pic included

VictoriaMuffin
03-05-2012, 02:33 AM
Okay let me start off by saying the family doctor i go to has chronically misdiagnosing me.
Most the doctors there are unprofessional and try and get me in and out in less than 10 minutes no matter what i'm seeing them for. (before someone tells me to switch they are the only one within 1 hour of where i live that my insurance will let me go to)

Recently (9 days ago) i got a really itchy rash that started with 2-3 oval pink bumps 2 on my chest 1 on my torso.
4 days later i had a bunch of small similar bumps on my neck chest back torso and arms a bit so i went to the doctor.

I was immediately diagnosed with ringworm. The doctor told me the cause was from me letting my hair dry naturally after a shower. he said the wetness it caused on my neck made the fungus grow.

He told me not to even use an over the counter cream that it will cause more moisture and possibly make it worse.

After everything i read online i saw that it would be stupid not to use a cream. So i started a cream and then switched to using a spray powder due to how much the rash spread.

I have been crying at least twice a day since i thought i had ringworm and washing everything i come in contact with daily to make sure i "kill all the spores"

Today during a search as to if you become immune to a strain of ringworm once you have it i saw pictures of someone with pityriasis rosea.

This looks 100% more like my rash than ringworm.

So i am pretty much decided i am misdiagnosed once again.

I am debating between just continuing to use antifungals just in case, or see the doctor again and get a test done on my skin to find out which it is, or just stoping the antifungal and vigorous cleaning and relaxing for the first time in 9 days.

So here is my picture of my rash. There is also some on my upper arms back and a few on my legs that are not pictured.

So i am hoping for a second opion.

also about the picture, they are slightly more pink than they appear in the pic. Right now they're covered in lotrimin powder.

Dr.Saiyan
03-05-2012, 07:34 AM
hi VictoriaMuffin!the picture you have uploaded is not very clear though but the rash neither look like ringworm nor pityriasis rosea to me.i just wanna know if the rashes are fluid filled or just solid bump or wheal with central punctum? is it itchy,painful?do you have rashes on faces? you have other accompanying symtoms like fever,sore throat,malaise?did u ever had chickenpox in childhood?did u have any drugs within 3 weeks before the appearence of rash,that we suspect?do you have cats,dogs or carpets in house or anything u are allergic to?if possible can we have real picture of rash how does it look like without anything applying on it so that we can come upon some impression .according to you you have it for nine days right??

VictoriaMuffin
03-05-2012, 07:22 PM
hi VictoriaMuffin!the picture you have uploaded is not very clear though but the rash neither look like ringworm nor pityriasis rosea to me.i just wanna know if the rashes are fluid filled or just solid bump or wheal with central punctum? is it itchy,painful?do you have rashes on faces? you have other accompanying symtoms like fever,sore throat,malaise?did u ever had chickenpox in childhood?did u have any drugs within 3 weeks before the appearence of rash,that we suspect?do you have cats,dogs or carpets in house or anything u are allergic to?if possible can we have real picture of rash how does it look like without anything applying on it so that we can come upon some impression .according to you you have it for nine days right??

the bumps are just slightly raised and dry. They look sort of peely. When i saw the first one i scratched it pretty bad the top layer of skin peeled off and it wasn't really filled with anything it just had a little of that clear stuff when i picked it. also the bump turned bright red. it looked like it was bleeding but it was like the blood was under the surface.
it is itchy. Not all the time it sort of comes and goes and it's not a terribly severe itchy. It's gotten less itchy since the first day. Not painful though only when i scratched the one spot bad. I did notice about 4 days ago what looks like the start of the rash on my face as well. Chin area temple forehead near hair line. no other symptoms that i don't experience often anyways. I've had headaches every day i've had it but i have gotten chronic headaches since i was young. I never had chickenpox i got the vaccines. I have not used any new drugs for over 2 months now. There are 3 cats and 2 dogs in the household. I only really ever come in contact with 1 of the cats. I have been around cats and dogs my whole life though and have never had a problem. and yes 9 days so far.
hope that answers your questions! :)

i will try to get a better picture of it later if possible.

VictoriaMuffin
03-05-2012, 08:20 PM
here is another picture. It's not much better but its the best my camera will allow.

Edit: Just looked myself over today i have 3 new spots on my face 3 on my chest 6 on my arms past my elbow and 4 on my legs.

i have also had a constant bad headache all day that i now thing might be related.

edit 2: i just found a small itchy patchy on the soles of my one foot.
If i feel it the skin feels tough like a callus and i can feel 4 small seed like feeling bumps. Not sure if it's related. i would guess it is.

Having it on the bottom of my foot worries me. I might just have to go to the doctors again and ask them to do a test on the skin Dx

edit 3: Things have gone down hill pretty quickly in the past few hours. I now have a stuffy nose, chills even though my skin feels extremely hot to the touch, nausea along with a complete loss of appetite, and i feel extremely groggy like i could fall asleep any second despite having taken a 3 hour nap a few hours ago. Most of my skin now along with the itch has that painful feeling of dry winter skin like you get on your hands. I don't know if i have a fever as i do not have thermometer but i usually don't get fevers over 99 and run low at a normal temperature so it's hard for me to really tell.
needless to say i am calling my doctor tomorrow. I can't take much more of this. i am still relieved it's not ringworm but this is causing me a lot of problems now too.
I hate going to them as they will probably give me the same doctor who thought it was ringworm and i hate that i had to pay a co-pay that day for basically useless information. Oh well, i have insurance i might as well use it. I will make an update if anything important happens or when i get a diagnosis. I am planning on insisting they run a test on me this time.

Dr.Saiyan
03-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Though this picture too is also not very clear ,but what i can see is like discrete papular urticaria type rash .from the symptoms you have described and the type of rash, it seems like allergic rashes to a systemic diseases,most probably thyroid disease, as you have described all the problems of thyroid disease. Thyroid disease are very common in women aged 40 and above so it is very important to exclude this disease.

i would like to suggest you to take thyroid function test and blood test for complete and differential count to exclude other possible infection.If all comes normal than we can just come upon impression of other allergic rashes.hope you keep us updating about your condition,we will be happy to hear from you.

VictoriaMuffin
03-08-2012, 01:33 AM
naturally after i make my second doctors appointment the rash starts going away.
When the doctor looked at what's left of the rash she said it was just eczema and that it's not to worry about since it's going away. She said it looks like it was just an allergic reaction so something i came in contact with. She said the spot on my foot is another type of eczema Dyshidrosis which i get on my hands sometimes. She said my non-rash symptoms are unrelated and since i didn't have a fever she said i was probably just coming down with a cold or that it was from stressing out so much.

The rash on my chest has faded substantially and the other spots are fading too. It no longer itches much. only if my hair tickles it or something. So i guess i'm alright. Who would've thought.

vencasand
03-08-2012, 01:37 PM
i am so glad you are alright. i hope you feel 100% better. it is scary when we get a breakout and don't know why. and stress can make matters worse. glad you are okay. i still have that thyroid test, if i were you. just to check make sure everything is normal.

Dr.Saiyan
03-08-2012, 04:21 PM
So good to hear that you have improved a lot, we are all happy for you.Yes, it definitely looked like allergic reaction presented as eczema in you case, which can be result of any external or internal factors.But what we have to understand is eczema is not proper disease its more of manifestation to any external or internal allergen or disease,so until it is excluded it runs chronic repeated course.

If your systemic symptoms doesnt resolve ,like grandma(brenda)said i still suggest you to take some thyroid function test. I guess its better to treat cause than to treat symptom.a small blood test could even have given a lot of imformation but as your dermatologist didnt suggest you, we also have to respect her opinion as well.Hope you keep us updating about your condition.good luck.

TerryTerry
12-27-2017, 06:50 PM
I am new here, and I guess you could call me a crusader. I suffered from PR for many months, and my GP treated me for ringworm. Finally he sent me to a dermatologist, who did a biopsy and told me I had PR. Then the derm told me it would go away after a while, and there was nothing I could do for it.
I have been on many forums, and most people who have a rash are sent home with some steroids, or are told to "come back in a couple of months if the rash has not gone away". Most are not even given a biopsy. I find this unacceptable.
As a patient, I expect a doctor to find out what, exactly, is wrong with me, and give me the most current information on treatments. For rashes that look similar to Pityriasis Rosea, it is easy to say, "take Benedryl, if it gets better it is an allergic reaction" Use an inyifungal cream, if it gets better, it was ringworm". "Try Prreze, if it goes away it is Pityriasis Rosea." It usually takes a week or so for a biopsy result, so these are things that allow a patient to be proactive in the meantime.
We, as patients, are self conscious of our body image. If we were not, we would not have gone to the trouble and expense of going to a doctor!