PDA

View Full Version : What is this rash?

Penser
02-22-2012, 11:52 PM
It's on my stomach just above my crotch, around where my belt buckle would sit, but slightly to the left. I remember it first being there about 3 years ago. Now wishing I went to the doctor about it..

I have no idea how it got there. It's weird. It seems to go through an "itch cycle." One day I will be wake up from bed or just doing something in the day and it will be very very itchy. So I scratch the hell out of it until it becomes sore and the itching stops. Then about a week later, when it's not irritated and all red anymore, the itching will start again..

It also feels slightly tender or soft, almost sticky.

Here's a few pictures, in different lighting. It's redder than usual because I scratched it this morning.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3706/20120223101319medium.jpg
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7892/20120223101233medium.jpg
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4082/20120223101346medium.jpg

vencasand
02-23-2012, 01:50 PM
you should see a dermatologist. it looks like it might be a fungal infection but if it hasn't spread it might not be that. maybe deepak or saiyan can give you a better answer but the best thing is to go to a derm and find out what it really is. once that is known then you can treat it. please let us know how you are doing. thanks

Dr.Saiyan
02-23-2012, 04:46 PM
hi pencer! the picture u have uploaded is very close and manipulated view of the original rash caused by scratching.so from the morphology most possible cause still seems like chronic recurrent fungal infection of pelvis also known tinea cruris in medical terms .

but according to the history u have given that lesion doesn't seems to spread, is localized and recurrent so we cannot exclude the possibility of allergic contact dermatitis,eczema including pediculosis .

i am just curious if have any form of lesions in hand and foot including nails,in that case it is very necessary to rule out the fungal infection by doing small laboratory testing for fungus.though is doesn't seem anything very serious and is completely curable ,i still suggest u to see dermatologist and know his opinion .hope u keep us informed.

Penser
02-23-2012, 09:28 PM
I think if it was a spreadable rash then I think it would have spread a little bit in 3 years - but it hasn't.

No I don't have any lesions or rashes or any other skin problems anywhere else on my body.

I was wondering though, what about if it was caused by my belt buckle? The rash is around where my buckle sits, so what if I was allergic to the metal in it or something?

Whatever it is I really hope it isn't contagious.

vencasand
02-24-2012, 01:15 PM
yes you could be having an allergic reaction to your belt buckle. many people are allergic to nickel that is used as a base for a lot of metal things. could you not wear your belt for a week or so and see if this rash disappears? does your buckle touch your skin? best of luck. hope you find out what is wrong.

Dr.Saiyan
02-24-2012, 03:07 PM
yes it could be contact allergy to the metal of your belt buckle,especially many people are allergic to nickle.So as far as possible try to figure out the things you come in contact with in that area like pant buttons etc.so you can also avoid their use for sometime and see if that works.
but i also recommend you take small test to rule out fungal infection.

Penser
02-24-2012, 10:16 PM
There's been plenty of times where I've gone even longer than a week without wearing a belt, but it has never gone away.