PDA

View Full Version : DIY Hairspray

Misha Smith
02-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Thinking of cutting back on the chemicals you use on your hair this new year or simply just cutting back? Whatever the case may be, I am going to teach you how to make your own hairspray right in your own kitchen!

What you'll need:
Empty Spray Bottle
Sugar
Water

Medium/Strong Hold Hairspray:
1. Pour in 1/2 cup of water in pot and wait for it to boil.
2. Put in 3 tsps of sugar and stir until it's completely dissolved.
3. Pour liquid into empty spray bottle.
*OPTIONAL: To add a nice fresh smell, simmer a few slices of oranges in the water first, take them out and then add in the sugar.

TIP: Since this isn't regular hairspray, you're going to want to spray it on your hair in layers. Spray on one thin layer at a time, let it dry, spray on a second layer, let it dry, so on and so forth.

This hairspray should be stored in the refrigerator and will only last for about a week , after which, you'll have to make a new one. To extend the shelf life to 2 weeks, add a tablespoon of vodka to the mixture.

skinlover
02-16-2012, 09:34 AM
This is very interesting!

vencasand
02-16-2012, 01:53 PM
wouldn't your hair be sticky? i don't use hair spray anymore. used to use the cheapest kind. you could bounce a ball off my hair!!lol but that was the style back in the sixties!
stopped using hair spray in the 70's. my hair is now long, down below my waist if i had a waist! have you tried your homemade hair spray? does it work? just wondering.

Blondie
02-19-2012, 04:23 AM
That's very interesting, but just be sure to stay inside on the days you use this. I imagine the bugs would find you too enticing. XD

Misha Smith
02-25-2012, 03:12 PM
@Vencasand: Yes I tried it myself and yes, it does work.
@Blondie:Actually not, unless you will go to a bug farm or bee farm. :)

shunammite
02-26-2012, 01:00 PM
interesting indeed! sweetened hair? and not hair spray. Anyway, thanks for this info Misha Smith.

juliebean2012
02-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Is there anything you can use besides sugar? That's what I would want to know.

y34963
03-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Lemon juice is used by some people. I don't find any DIY hairsprays work at all though.

Rach
05-15-2012, 06:04 AM
you should brand it and sell it on ebay