PDA

View Full Version : Controversial anti-aging ingredient

Blondie
01-28-2012, 09:05 AM
I was just wondering what everyone thinks of the chemical known as Teprenone, Renovage, geranylgeranylacetone, etc.

I've heard claims spanning from "increases cell life span by 1/3," to it originally being used as an ulcer treatment that heals heat shock proteins. It supposedly works by increasing the length of chromosome ends. :O I doubt it does anything when applied topically, because I haven't seen anything in literature about it, but I don't have access to the same resources everyone does. But it seems exactly like Venuceane: every time you see a product containing it, there are claims of clinical studies that you can't find and/or seem to be made up. :mad:
Does anybody know anything about this? Are there any DIYers that have used it with success? And if it works as claimed, isn't it technically a drug and not a cosmetic? Yikes!

On top of that, it almost seems counterproductive to the other classic anti-aging methods which focus on removing cells & faster turnover as opposed to making cells more resilient. It seems like if you used this, it would make AHAs and exfoliation pointless. ????

Sabina
01-30-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm unknown about it. i did search about it in medline and other medical journals and didn't find anything about its use in anti-aging. all i can see is "anti-uncer agent".