PDA

View Full Version : Red patchy facial area...

ge0rgiaguy
01-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I guess this would be a good listing on the forum to post this.

I get this certain patch of skin here on my face and my chin when I let my facial hair grow out. It doesn't long, not even a 1/4 inch. But, when I shave this is what happens, here and on my chin. I can keep my facial hair maintained the way it is now and when these spots clear up it's like this area sheds and I get alot of dry skin in these certain spots. I drink nothing but water all day every day, and never wash my face with too much of anything but a burt's bee's orange peel facial bar. I have had this condition for 8 or so years now, and my little brother also gets the same thing but worse.

Just look at my avatar, or go into my photos, I have uploaded 3 of them from this morning. Can anyone give me some suggestions before I go seeking a dermatologist so I can try a home remedy?

Thanks in advance,

Charlie Boy

Dr.Deepak
01-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Its a common condition and medically called as folliculitis, you might have heard it as " razor bumps" . The best way to avoid is to stop shaving for at-least few weeks to a month. I know it might be uncomfortable to have a large growing beard, but its the best way. In the mean time apply some topical over the counter antibiotics like clindamycin or in combination with benzoyl peroxide (Duac,Benzaclin). This will help reduce the infection and inflammation.

Always avoid using razor blades, use electric razor instead. Use electric razors with an attachment that prevent the hair to cut too short. If u use razor blades use single blade razor, and shave in the direction of the hair follicle, not against it and don't stretch the skin during shaving.

ge0rgiaguy
01-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I would have to disagree. Even without shaving the irritation is there. Most noticeably while the hair is growing. I believe it has something to do with my body oil, but unsure. I know what razor bumps are, and these aren't it.

Dr.Saiyan
01-22-2012, 04:36 PM
hi ge0rgiaguy ! i am just curious how does the lesion look like originally when u haven't yet shaved as u said it occurs even when u haven't saved, coz the lesion looks like injured and manipulated folliculitis to me as well.folliculitis occur due to injured hair follicle that may occur due to blocking,infection or mechanical injury of hair follicle.it occurs single or multiple bumpy pustular lesion due to infection of hair follicle with bacteria initially later may takes the form of erosion and infection.

If u are getting this types of lesions repeatedly with in certain intervals and u also seem to have family history of the same lesion in exposed part of body than u may have to rule out allergy to certain external and internal factors which u are inherently allergic like creams you apply,after shave u apply ,food u eat like sea food, alcohol or drug u use may be exacerbated by sunlight. dust mites, pollen or occupational irritants can also serve as important source of allergy which u yourself have to carefully observe and point out to the dermatologists.

If its just folliculitis i guess than just measures as described by deepak can help u.but its allergy to any external or internal factors than u would probably get it repeatedly over and over until the culprit factor is recognized and excluded.